How to patch inserts on a patchbay ?

jumpingflash

I was reading some posts here about patchbays and cabling but i don't think i got it right here...

I guess i cannot patch an insert like the send on the top connector of the patchbay and the return in the bottom connector of the same channel... i would get a loop ( or not) ?

Let me know as I am patching right now and I planned 2 patchbays and they are ready to be connected and now i need to patch the insterts..

Thanx a lot to anyone who is willing to help me (even if they may have answered this question a Zillion times..)

jumpingflash said:
I guess i cannot patch an insert like the send on the top connector of the patchbay and the return in the bottom connector of the same channel... i would get a loop ( or not) ?

No, that is how you patch inserts. You do have to normal the connection though, or you won't get any sound unless somthing IS plugged in.

Great... so i guess my english is not as good as i thought :D

I've been reading about things NOT to do with a patch bay... and i must have misunderstood something...i guess i will have to do a big search again :D

Thanx for your very fast advice!

Avioding a loop is only nedded if you have a device like an effects unit with it's outs on the top row and ins on the bottom row. Think about it, you would not want to plug these together because it would just send the signal around in circles. An insert on the other hand NEEDS to go to itself or the signal path is broken. You want the insert send normalled to the insert recieve. Same would go for things like multitrack outs and mix channels. You want the signal from the multitrack to automaticlty flow to the mix channles.

Yeah that was it, thanx a lot :D

I am drawing all the signal flow of my studio to have the patch bay intelligently patched... I guess that's the trickiest part of it all as you need to foresee the various uses you will do of your gear and stuff...

Actually, I think the cool thing is if you just make all your gear jacks availible and hooked together in the simplest or most used way you don't have to know all the possibilities. You can think of a new way to use things everyday. The thing to do is look at signal path and make your setup connect in logical places.

I guess i will just hook all the inputs of the mixer on the patchbay and on their normalled counterparts all my instruments, then the inserts and the direct outs and the third patchbay just the signal porcessors (reverbs, delays ecc...)....

So i will use just a couple of cables in normal use ( for the reverbs) and i will have everything handy if any new situation arises...

Back