How to I know when my tweeter has blown?

monkeywrench

Basically, not too long ago I purchased a pair of BX5a's. I'm fine with the model so I'm not looking for opinions.

However, I noticed recently that one of the speakers tweeters is 'buzzing' incessantly. It's not very loud but it's definately audible when there's no other sound coming through and it's damn annoying. It's definately the tweeter and I've tried changing leads, power leads etc just to be sure.

So basically...what's wrong? Has the tweeter blown and is there another way to tell? Just wanna be as sure as I can of what's going before I have to go through tech support and get me a replacement pair.

Thanks.

Now come and tell me M-Audio monitors are quality stuff... :rolleyes:
You get what you pay for. Chineese gear is cheaper, but a lot less reliable.

Swap the tweeters. See if the buzz follows the suspected bad tweeter.

It's probably some sort of electrical problem...tweeters are passive devices and do not buzz on their own. Probably something's gone bad further down the signal chain.

Unplug the signal to that monitor. Does it still buzz? If not, than look up your signal chain untilk you find the offensive device.

I got a little buzz when I first wired up my TR8s.

I changed the power plug position, then it was ok. I think it was just a dirty mains.

Try a different socket maybe?

A studio I frequently visit through work has a pair of Genelecs, and every so often the woofer drops out on the right speaker. Weird...

Back