hooking up powered Jbls to a powered mixer?

Wireneck

I gotta do sound for my friends band this weekend. It wouldn't be that big of a deal but im having to use some of their equipment which brings me to my question.
They have a few pairs of powered jbl speakers. Pretty much the only gear they aren't providing is the mixer. My mixer I use for live sound is an older Peavey powered mixer. Im wondering what the best way to hook everything up is going to be? The main thing im worried about is the fact that my main outs are already powered. So should i set the jbls to a pretty descent volume and then just back off on my main faders? Ive never really dealt with powered speakers so I just want to make sure im not going to mess something up.

You definately don't want to plug them into the powered outs or you will probably get a lot of smoke and flames.

There should be a Line out on your mixer that isn't powered.

TexRoadkill said:
You definately don't want to plug them into the powered outs or you will probably get a lot of smoke and flames.

There should be a Line out on your mixer that isn't powered.

Either that, or the JBL's may have an input jack for bypassing the amp part of the Eon's (been a while since I looked at the series so I can't say for sure).

ill have to look around on my mixer

im not sure if there is anyway to get around its poweramp. I would bypass the jbls power but i believe they are more powerfull than the internal poweramp in my mixer.

There is no way to bypass the amp on the Eons.

There has to be some line level outputs on the mixer. Some Aux outs, 3/4 Buss or something. Otherwise you couldn't even use stage monitors or extra speakers with the system.

Tex is right, as usual.

Just find the line outs... they have to be there... even if you use the busses to route out of the board, you can get there.

Back