Home studio advice - Help

gec40

Hello everyone. I'm looking to put together my home studio. The only available space I have to share is my livingroom. Although this may be a bit challenging, it's my only option. Therefore, I believe where there is a will, there is a way. So be it. I'm starting from scratch; I haven't purchased anything as yet. I'm in the researching stages of this project. The information I desparately need is as follows:

Which brand of PC is recommended? (Dell, etc.)
Recording software?
Keyboard?
Mixer?
Mic?

I'm working on a tight budget; therefore, I'm looking for the best deal, yet, I don't want to sacrifice quality. Also, I must learn to play keyboard; is there any particular software which can start me off?

I must say that I am extremely determined to make all this happen...so, any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Blessings to all. Georgette. ;)

Wow...That's on heck of a question.

1. Doesn't Matter
2. Depends on what you want to record
3. Anything MIDI compatable
4. You probably don't need one
5. See number 2

OK, now let me expound on that.

PC brands don't really matter, since none of them (even the best ones) are not set up properly for adio work. There are many sources on the internet (this forum is one of them) where you can find information regarding what you should and shouldn't get. A few key points are something quiet (fans don't sound good with reverb), and something fairly fast with a decent amount of memory. Working with digital audio requires a lot of processing power. More than one hard drive is also a must. Playing multiple tracks of audio at the same time as your operating system wants to fetch some code usually leads to problems. More importantly than the PC (or Mac if you are so inclined), is how you will be getting the sound into it. You'll need some sort of interface between the computer and the music. Before you ask which one is the best, there is no real answer. The prices range from $100 to many thousands. You need to determine how many things you will be recording at one time, and start looking from there. Get something that will fulfill your needs right now and into the near future. If you can't afford the one you want, get anything. It's better than nothing. The only real rule of thumb here is to stay away from 'gaming' sound cards (Soundblaster comes to mind). There have been many fine recordings made using these cards, but on the whole, they were never designed for audio recording.

Recording software is another sticky point. Prices range from less than $50 (N-Track) to as much as a new car (Protools). Decide what you need it to do (MIDI, audio, etc...) and then decide how much money you want to spend. You should download as many demo versions as you can and play with all of them. It's the only way to see if a particular program will satisfy your requirements. Remember, you can always upgrade later.

If you plan on recording keyboards, probably the easiest (and cheapest) way is to get a small (49 or 61 key) MIDI compatable keyboard. Assuming that the sound card you bought supports MIDI (almost all do), you simply plug the keyboard in and off you go. Even the cheapest Casios usually offer MIDI although personally, I have a hard time playing anything that isn't velocity sensitive (meaning the harder you hit the keys, the louder the note).

A mixing board is really only necessary if you have a bunch of sources (keyboards, microphones, guitars, bass, drum mics, etc...) that you want to leave plugged in all the time. If you don't mind doing a little plugging/unplugging every once in a while, you should save the money for something like...

Microhpones are a HUGE subject. I suggest you read this thread

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=27030

It's very long and gets pretty technical, but when you're finished, you will know what you need to record what. You'll also know what other people are using and why.

Something you're missing is how you will be listening to you music once you've recorded it (get the word 'headphones' out of your vocabulary). Headphones, no matter how good are not the answer. If you have absolutly no choice, you'll have to use them, but honestly, they should only be used for listening to a click track or previously recorded tracks while playing another instrument or singing. You need to get a pai of monitors (sometimes called near-feild monitors). You can squeak by with home stereo speakers if they are of decent quality, and you are very familiar with the way they sound. You will be using the monitors to compare your recordings to the rest of the world, so it's important to get something that is accurate above everything else. You don't want them (and hence you) to miss or overstate any peice of the sound.

There's a wealth of information contained in these forums, spend a few days poking around and you'll get an idea of what other people have learned doing exactly what you're doing. Perhaps most importantly, you need to decide on a budget. The recording world will get very expensive if you don't keep track of it. We've all been caught in the 'I just need.... I'll just get one more... Look at all those pretty lights on that doohicky..." syndrome.

Wow...thank you so very much. As far as what I'll be recording:
I'm a singer/lyricist....so, of course I'll be laying vocals and using a keyboard and sampling...I would say as time passes I'll most likely add other instruments --- not many though; perhaps a guitar.

I am so grateful....

Hawking provided very good advice - I agree with almost everything he said. The only thing we really disagree on - is that I'm not convinced you need two hard drives - it depend what other application you are using the box for.

As a singer/songwriter your prioities would likely be:

1) A decent computer with plenty of memory and good speed (buy the most powerful computer you can afford.

2) A decent digital/audio interface (not a sound blaster type card - but a true interface (Delta, Event, Mark Of Unicorn, etc) Eight in/out is good but it sounds like you could get by with 2 or 4.

3) Recording/sequence software - there are many options (this should eliminate the need for a mixer)

4) A good condensor mic and a decent mic preamp

5) A MIDI keyboard/synth - (or a MIDI controller if you plan to use software synths)

6) Decent monitors (powered to save on space - no need for a power amp)

7) Software synths (see 5)

8) Software processing (reverb and compression at a minimum)

9) Possibly music software such as Band-In A-Box or Acid - to help you laydown additional tracks (you then have a band at your disposal.

As Hawking said, computers don't come set up for digital audio - in fact if you buy them at a retail store (Best Buy, or whatever) they come with lost of junk software loaded - that at best will slow the system down and at worst will interfere with the recording sofware. Many people prefer Mac over PC for digital audio (but I think in recent years PC support has pretty much caught up with Mac.

Most computer sales people don't know much about digital/audio and MIDI (other then how to download MP3 and burn a CD). I would suggest you have someone build a computer and load the right "music" software in. Many times guys in music stores (in particular the keyboard/recording technology guys) know how to do this or at least can put you in touch with the right people.

Do plenty of research - this site is a great place to start. The most important thing is - make sure you know what you what the system to do, then design the system to meet the need.

Welcome to the club - but a fair warning!!!! - You will soon become a gear junky and will have to gut you garage to build a studio with a vocal booth and a drum room!!!

The extra hard drive is always a good idea. It may not be necessary, but at the prices they are selling for, it's just something else you don't have to worry about.

Also, most recording programs will incluse some sort of processing ability (compressions, EQs, etc...) This might be something to look at while deciding on a software package. There are a few dfferent standards floating about with regards to computer based effects. If you think this will be something important to your mucis creation (it usually is), then look for a program that has them and has the ability to add more.

Home Recording Help

Thank you all...every bit helps. I've been doing so much research. I'm now reading 'Home Recording Studio'...great info. But, I know I must continue gaining info from as many directions before spending...especially info from those who are actively recording. Thanks Guys.

jobones said:
You may want to consider getting a mac as opposed to a Pc.

Yo' jo-bo! Pray tell why?? Is this based on some sort of proven fact or YOUR opinion!!??
I am EXTREMELY CURIOUS!!!

Yo' Georgette, greetings and welcome to the site that's MORE than a buncha' face-less peep's in cyber space! Hope you take full advantage of the advice,knowledge,etc from this GREAT SITE!

N-E way, what part of NY are you from!!??

Home Studio Advice

I'm from Brooklyn. I'm thinking about purchasing the following, please tell my your views on these:

PC - Dell 8250 --- 120GB Hard drive, Pentium 4 processor @2.40GHz w/533mhz bus 512k L2 cache, 256MB PC 1066 RDRAM, 64MB DDR NVIDIA GE Force 4MX Graphic card, 16 Max DVD-ROM Drive, (Should I instead get a higher speed DVD-ROM drive?)

SOUND CARD - Sound blaster Audigy Sound w/DVD Audio

KEYBOARD - Korg Le Triton 61 Key OR Korg Triton Le 61 key Workstation Sampler OR Yamaha 61-key MOTIF Music Synthesizer?

MIC - RODE NT 1

MONITORS - I'm thinking I should get Near-field monitors, but which ones?

SOFTWARE - SONAR 2.2

Am I missing anything?

Yeah, if you're thinking about the Rode NT-1, you owe it to yourself to look at several other microphones, as well. Take a look through the microphone forum, but some of the ones you might want to consider would be:

MXL V67
Studio Projects C1
AT3035
AKG C2000B
Rode NT-1A
Studio Projects B1

among others.

Regards the computer, check to see the Hard Drive specs. You're probably going to want at least 7200 rpm (if it spins at 5400 rpm, you'll end up feeling limited in audio throughput). I think that you're on the right track, because there are really only three ways to get a computer optimized for audio:

1) buy a pre-fab system, like a Carillon machine
2) build it yourself
3) buy an off-the-shelf system, and work with it until it is limiting you, then keep modifying/updating it.

I'm a big fan of Sonar, so I can't disagree there.

I'm not a keyboard player at all, but I have read some comments about the Triton being overrated/overpriced. Worth checking into...

As far as monitors, you're going to need to do some searching. Depending on the price range you're thinking about, common monitors people seem to like here include (but not limited to):

Yorkville YSM-1 or YSM-1p
Event 20/20 or 20/20bas
Mackie HR624 or HR824
Tannoy Reveal or Reveal Active
Yamaha NS-10

Definitely spend some time getting to know the little button at the top of the web page which says "search". It will be a great friend...

-mg

if you have the techinical know-how, id definately go with building you own pc over buying a (ridiculously overpriced) dell. dont get me wrong, theyre great computers, but they are very expensive. if you know what your doing, you could build a great pc, with exactly what you need, nothing more, nothing less, for a decent amount of money. however, if you dont know how to do that, like most people, then a dell may be a good choice. they make a solid computer, in my experience.

jobones said:
You may want to consider getting a mac as opposed to a Pc.
I've ran both. I sold my G4 Power Mac/Protools (001) setup. WAY overpriced with no performance edge at all. PC is way cheaper and every bit as powerful as any Mac.

I don't know...I have a soundblaster with the Live drive and I get some pretty damn good results. However, I am planing on replacing it in the near future (jumping up to the $900 mark), but for around $120 it was a really nice little starter. the live drive was really nice and convient with multi inputs in a front bay.

Hello Gec, welcome to the board! I can't tell you much about computers for recording, as my studio is based on a stand alone hard drive recorder, but I will tell you what I have learned about mics and preamps. First, every mic needs a preamp. Mixers have preamps in them, but they're not usually very good ones. You have to build the signal chain from the beginning, rather than the end.
You will get better recordings from a great mic and preamp into a cheap soundcard than from a lousy mic and pre into a great system. The problem with vocal mics is that they are like a pair of pants. One size does *not* fit all, and there is no vocal mic so good that it will not sound like hell on some singer. Change songs or keys, and you may find a different mic will work better. Also, some singers sound great on a cheap mic, through the right preamp. All you can do is buy proven good mics and pres, so if they don't work for you, they're easier to sell. And never miss an opportunity to try out a friend's mic, just for the experience. Make friends who own microphones!
Preamps are critical, and good ones are the basis of almost every great recording. Here are a few to check out:
Dirt Cheap- M Audio Audiobuddy, M Audio DMP-3, Studio Projects VTB-1
Better (more money) FMR Audio RNP, Grace Design 101
High end (excellent- price of good used car) anything by Avalon, Great River, Pendulum, Davisound, DW Fearn. Check preamps at Mercenary Audio on line for some sticker shock. For your purposes, I'd consider starting at the middle level, about $500.
Microphones- Basically, there are dynamic mics and condenser mics. Ribbon mics are a special type of dynamic with a metal ribbon instead of a diaphragm. Tube (or valve) mics are condensers that contain a vacuum tube to add selective distortion, often called "warmth". Before you are done, you will want a good dynamic, a good FET (no tube) condenser, and a good tube mic. Add a ribbon later. Some mics worth considering:
Cheap Dynamics- Shure SM58, AKG D880
Higher end Dynamics- Shure SM7B, Sennheiser MD421 and MD441. Any of these are wonderful mics.
Cheap Condensers- Marshall MXL V67B, Studio Projects B-1 and C-1, Oktava MK319, Rode NT-1a
Middle Level Condensers- Rode NT1000 and NT-2, B.L.U.E Baby Bottle and Dragonfly, Studio Projects C-3, Neumann TLM103, AKG C414TL-II
Middle level tube mics- Rode NTK, Studio Projects T-3
Vocal Condensers to die for- (and break the bank)- Neumann U87, B.L.U.E. Kiwi and Cactus, Lawson L47, Brauner any model, AKG C12, Rode Classic II.
That should lay out some basic options in preamps from $80 to $5000+ and mics in about the same range. For a kickass middle level combo, I would probably opt for B.L.U.E. Dragonfly and Grace 101, then add Rode NTK for a basic tube mic and Shure SM7B for a great dynamic. Best of luck to you. Stick with it. This recording thing can be very testosterone driven, and recording definitely could use a woman's touch. There are a few here, especially Riley357 and Shakee Tee.-Richie
PS- there are dozens of preamps and mics I have not mentioned that work just fine, But I can confidently recommend all of what I listed as being good stuff in its price range.

Yea listen to richard. I've been doing a lot of research and reading on this board for a long while now and he pretty much outlined all of the middle of the road gear i'll have some day.

Well he left out a good pair of SD condensors, like the shure sm81 (it's 81 right?), but other than that...

I'd get an RNP cause it's 2 channels instead of one, because i do lots of stereo recording and my budget doesn't fit 2 grace 101's, but if it did!

Back