home recording studio advice needed...

i dont know

I recently started a new set-up from my home. Its really remedial and doesnt have the good quality. For one, im using "audacity" recording software, which is free. In the past, i have used adobe audition and magix. I mostly need help with how to record. (ive also used cakewalk and pro-tools at a friends, i have found pro-tools to be the best, but also most expensive.)

I have a mic plugged into the mic jack of the computer through a small two channel mixer i bought. (Behringer Xenyx 802) The mic (three pronged) is plugged directly in to the mixer's first channel, and a chord is connected from the mixers earphone to the computers(PC) mic jack, due to an adapter.

I record straight into my Samson R21 (dynamic mic), and that's that.
At the moment, i record drums, guitar, and vocals. everything comes out with much hiss/distortion, but sometimes is bearable. either way, i need better techniques to record. money is somewhat of a handicap, but i am willing to spend a good amount.

thanks for your time!

well your connecting it wrong, should be Mic into mixer, like you are doing, then the alt 3/4 (which i think your mixer has) into the line in on your computers soundcard. your never really going to great quality with that stuff anyway, first thing I would do is get a better soundcard (M-Audio Audiophile 2496? have not used it but it would probably be what i would get and other people seem to like it)

YOu might want to get a usb interface, like the M-Audio. Heck, they sell it at Best Buy for under 100 bucks. They have tons of them at Guitar center as well.

Run your mics into that.

Before recording songs, get that signal clear. That's very important.

Don't forget that those usb interfaces come with free software that includes a noise gate.

If it weren't for the noise gate, I'd be screwed. It keeps all my tracks dead quiet until a signal from the guitar or mic is imput.

Plus, editing is a miracle on computers. I use Guitar Tracks Pro3 (99 bucks) and I can go in and edit out any sound I want. I can play a lick and copy and paste it so that I don't have to play the whole song. I can play the whole song if I want, and when I hit a bad note, I delete it later and fill in with a new one.

I love my software because it's cheap and easy, and is a babystep for more expensive Cakewalk products.

I should have an album of ten songs that I truly like soon (in a few months).

I have a ton of stuff I recorded, but most is complete crap. I'm getting better and better all the time.

One thing I've learned (and this goes for most hobbies, sports, etc.) is to get the basic equipment, and resist the urge to constantly change it. Learn to use what you have before giving up and getting rid of it.

in all honesty, i am not very techologically advanced. ( i make myself sound like a robot.)

what exactly is a usb interface? i looked up m-audio but couldn't find much information other than that people pair it with pro-tools, and how it looks. also, ill check out guitar track pro 3, i need all the advice possible.

i need to get the feel of recording by myself, and find out what i like the best. i have always recorded with friends who knows the ropes. i have a knack for quitting, but i really want to start making music that actually sounds decent.

how would i plug the mixer (through the 3/4 alt) into the direct line in of my soundcard? (basically how the hell do i find my soundcard, and if i were to get a new one, how would i install it/use it/etc.)

i'd go with reaper for recording software over guitar track pro 3.
how much can you spend and how long does that initial investment have to last you (could you upgrade in a few months, a year, never?)

i could probably spend at the most 250 for recording software.
but for actual equipment, as much as possible...

i plan on doing recording for a long time, i would want something that i could stay stable with. (basically, upgrade, but not for awhile)

but for actual equipment, as much as possible...
:confused:
it would be easily possible to spend a couple of million dollars on gear.
how much is possible for you?
i think you'll find a lot of support here for reaper. you can get a non-commercial license for $50 and the program is updated regularly.

you have a great point. my ambition to money ratio is wayyyyy off.

i basically would like the most inexpensive route when it comes to gear. basically, cheaper, but good quality, if that exists. if not, the next best thing.

lets just say, i am almost poor, but nonetheless determined.

i have to say i could only spend a few thousand, if not less. (and that would be gradually). im not looking for amazing quality, just good quality. (pro-tools quality?)

"pro tools quality" is roughly analgous to "restaurant quality"-- it all depends on the cooks making the soup.
do you have a decent computer? a good place to record (acoustically)?
if so, a thousand dollars can go a pretty long way.
the style of music depends a lot as well-- especially how you'll mic drums, which will impact how many channels of preamps you'll need, plus what kind of computer interface you'll need.
still you can get started and make good recordings if you practice a lot and don't suck with considerably less than a few thousand dollars provided that you have a good computer and at least a decent (acoustically) place to record.

this cook can make good soup, he just wants to learn how to make higher quality/better soup. i have a pc running vista, which works fine usually, even though vista is a pain. i was using audacity before which worked ok. i just want to start recording without hisses, or slight distortion. i have no idea how many mics are usually needed for drums, i have used 3 to 4 in the past, but it didnt sound too great, but that was drums directly to mics. (just mixer) I would really be playing all kinds of music, i would be using drums, guitars, bass, etc. i was thinking condenser mics may help, but who knows.

also, where i record is fine, if i felt the need i could always change.

which will impact how many channels of preamps you'll need, plus what kind of computer interface you'll need.

that is where i need help, i am lost as what to use, whats best, whats a luxury and whats a necessity and so on. i have been told to use an interface, but i sadly have no idea what that is. also, i have been told to get a new soundcard or just plug directly into my soundcard.

here are some frequently recommended goodies:
presonus firepod (now the fp10)-- gives you 8 inputs each with pres and phantom power incorporated into a firewire interface (soundcard). this should give you enough channels of preamps to mike a drum kit conventionally. this is about $500, though you can probably find a good deal on a used firepod if you look. a company called art also makes a new interface called the tubefire (i believe) that's gotten some good reviews for about the same money.

you'll also need some mics. get a pair of naiant msh-2's when they come back on sale from www.naiant.com they're closed for the holidays, but they'll run you less than $100 together. those are omni condenser mics that require phantom power.

consider investing in either a shure sm-7b, a ev re-20 or a heil sound pr-40. any one of those will run about $350-400, but will work well as a kick drum mic and a mic for rock vocals. alternatives would include a beyerdynamic soundstar mk II (generally $80-150 used), or a sennheiser md421 (about $200-300 used/new).

you might want some large diaphragm condensers for vocals, guitar, front of kick, etc. the mxl v67 is a highly recommended condenser for short $. there's one for sale for $60 in the classifieds here. they run $100 new. the mxl 960 is a tube mic that has gotten big ups from harvey gerst (a heavy hitter) here that runs about $150 iirc. other highly recommended options are the kel condenser mics ($100-$150 new) and the cad m179's.

you'll need some dynamics for recording guitar/snare drum, etc. shure sm-57's are kind of the default standard, though many people like audix i-5's, sennheiser e609's, or any number of others for this purpose. sennheiser md421's also work great for this, though might be a luxury on your budget. a great budget option by all reports are the es-57's from www.speakerrepair.com -- much love for these here. rinse and repeat for toms.

you'll need monitors to listen to stuff on. good beginner monitors might include wharfedale 8.2's (i may be off on the model number), tascam vl-x5's (no longer made, but there is a new model), blue sky evo (a 2.1 system-- two l/r speakers plus a subwoofer), plus many offerings from m-audio, krk, event, etc. that are plenty good between $250 and $400. the more you can spend the better.

you'll need to leave a good chunk of change for cabling, mic stands, etc.

if i was starting over, i would probably prioritize the interface, monitors, and then something like the naiants and an sm-7b to start (plus cabling, mic stands, etc.)

An easy solution is the Tascam US 122 USB interface.

It functions as your soundcard and interface with both XLR and 1/4 inputs. IT has phantom power if you need it in the future...it's cheap and damn near bullet proof.

The direct monitoring feature is nice too. I've used one for 3 years now....never a problem.:cool:

http://www.tascam.com/details;39,15,68.html

Attachments

• Tascam US122.jpg.jpg
    Tascam US122.jpg.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 87
Basically a usb interface is a plastic or metal box with a bunch of knobs. It plugs into your computer's usb port.

Then, you plug your guitar, microphone, keyboard or drum machine into the box.

Most come with basic recording software. I use Guitar Tracks Pro3 because it's easy, cheap, and works.

I can sit down to record with NO hiss or distortion.

I can get crystal clear signals from my guitar, bass (most of the time), and mics.

I use a program called Fruity Loops for drums (99 bucks), that stinks for rock, but works. The harder you work, the better the results on programming a sequencing device (er, software).

I used to think I was cheap (and that's true), but one day someone asked me how much my studio was altogether, and I said, "A few hundred bucks.....no, wait....(running calculations in my head).....about two thousand dollars."

Here's my setup (and believe me, it's not impressive).

* Toshiba laptop computer--$499.
* M-Audio usb interface--$99
* Guitar Tracks Pro3 recording software--$99
* Yamaha Bass guitar--$200
* Epiphone piece of junk electric guitar--$150
* Yamaha acoustic that plays like a 2000 dollar guitar (seriously--love it)-$250

* MXL 990 condensor mics (2 in a package)--$99
* Shure SM 58 microphone (incredible deal and quality)--$99
* Fruity Loops (drum software sequencing program--fun)--$99
* Phantom Power box (for condensor mics)--$49
* Small tube pre-amp (in the mail and with shipping)--$35
* Two mic cables and a guitar cord--approximately $50
* Three guitar stands--$30 (total--great deal).
* Microphone Stand--$30
* Yamaha crappy keyboard (but with software effects not too bad)--$250
* Picks for guitars--probably about $20 over the last few years.
* Extra guitar strings---$0. I never break them cause I play like a girl.
* Total----$2031.

* Worth of my songs----less than the 99cents it cost to purchase a better song on Itunes.

* Value of all my crap if I were to resell it---probably nothing.

* Value of my talent---priceless. :rolleyes:

hah, i like your style.
dont they have some interfaces that come with phantom power?
(im assuming the interface would knock my mixer out of the picture?)

and...
* Yamaha acoustic that plays like a 2000 dollar guitar (seriously--love it)-$250
if that is the same guitar my friend has, its a really great guitar. (acoustic electric?)

andddd! how many channels do most usb interfaces have? (or does it vary incredibly?)

Most of the USB interfaces come with phantom power. Mine didn't.

You can also buy mixers now that will plug directly into your laptop, which is probably a better way to go. Both devices will probably be about 150 on up (with the phantom power).

If your computer has stereo imputs (you know, like in the back of a stereo), then you can buy a mixer that will plug straight in.

I don't know much about soundcards, but the usb interfaces ARE soundcards, so they work fine.

The Line6 Toneport is supposed to be really good. Most of the USB interfaces are two-channel. The mixers can do more.

I just record one track at a time.

It won't be long before I post some samples so you can see how crappy I play and record.

Seriously, it's okay. Nothing special. I'm still learning a lot everyday.

Back