headphones: ATH-M20 & ATH-D40 vs Sony MDR-7506 vs Samson CH700

isfahani

Disciple of Wong Jing
I am looking to buy some headphones, so I thought i would ask here and see if anyone has experience with any or all of these and would care to comment.

I am currently favoring the Audio-Technica ATH-M20's as they are half the price as the Sony's and with much the same specs and appearance... But I have no experience with any of them.

Thanks.

I own the Sony MDR-7506. I don't have any other cans to compare them to right now but here's my impression of them. Worth every cent. Comfortable to wear, physically tough, and nicely detailed sound. Most complaints I have seen about these cans is that the bass is hyped. This is really not the case though. When I compare a mix between the Sonys and my Yamaha HS80 monitors (all controls flat) it becomes pretty apparent that the Sony's actually have a somewhat shy midrange. The bass is just as flat as the monitors but because the mids are less present it makes the bass and highs come through the mix a little more.

What will you be using them for? If you get the AT, I'd suggest the ATH-M40fs, as opposed to the D-40, as they have a flatter frequency response.

I am going to use them for monitoring while i am recording stuff on my DAW and then occasionally to a/b mixes with.

Actually, now that I think about it - I do have a bit on experience with the Sonys as the organisation here I help with sound and staging tech has a person that does the archival recording and he mixes to stereo using these. And I have to say that that was my impression of them as well... Flat sounding and a bit scooped.

But I am all for finding something just as good but not having to pay for the Sony brand name, you know?

isfahani said:
I am going to use them for monitoring while i am recording stuff on my DAW and then occasionally to a/b mixes with.

But I am all for finding something just as good but not having to pay for the Sony brand name, you know?

I'll second the ATH M40's. The M40's are the flattest across the board cans I've ever used. I also have the ATH M30's & ATH M50's of which neither are as suited for mixing as are the M40's. I wouldn't recommend mixing on cans but if you have no choice the M40's would be your best bet IMHO. Here's a link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-Technica-...ryZ14985QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck. :)

lol... noone i have ever seen recommends mixing in headphones.

Aside from monitoring, I do like to use them to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion as I do a lot of 'location' recording and mixing and 1/2 the time my 2nd set of speakers (if any) is the stereo in the living room where we're recording...

Thanks. Anyone else, feel free to chime in, I won't be buying for a few days at least.

AKG K240s. have both these and a pair of M40fs'. AKG's are an all around better headphone IMO. More open and a LOT more comfortable.

Just my .02. take it for what it's worth.

Well, the AKG 240 is what I have used forever and a day as go-to's... Actually my remaining pair of phones is this model, and they are giving me the impression that they are tired and would like a rest lol.

I was hoping to try something else with more isolation.

I recently bought the new Audio Technica ATM 50 and I'm pleased with their flat response...to my ear, none of the frequencies seems to be too hyped. I probably will stick to my monitors for mixing but, the 50's will definately be used for recording and playback.

isfahani said:
lol... noone i have ever seen recommends mixing in headphones.

I didn't say to mix on headphones. I said I wouldn't recommend mixing on cans but there are times when a home recordist may have to mix on cans. ;)

Oh, I know that, I was being ironic.

Thanks for your suggestion on these, both of you - I am leaning towards the M40's as they sound like they are similar to the K240's I am used to, but with more isolation...

But still, there's always Radio Shack.

I have some Sennheiser HD280s, and love them. They are maybe a little more cash, but worth it in my opinion - and I'm a cheapskate :)

OK, I decided to go with the Radio Shack.

no, wait - the ATH M40's. I probably need more than just this set at some point too, so this info is a good reference point.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Back