HD600 v Focal Spirit Pro v DT770 v Blue Mo-Fi v ATH-M50 - "mixing headphone" review

Pinky

and The Brain...
HD600 v Focal Spirit Pro v DT770 v Blue Mo-Fi v ATH-M50 - "mixing headphone" review

I recently went shopping for new quasi-monitor grade headphones. The Audio Technica ATH-M50 are my current tracking headphones but I still rely on my studio monitors for the final mixing. I don't want or expect to replace my monitors, I am hoping to reduce my reliance on them during the bulk of the mixing process.

For testing I used a couple baseline tracks, in particular Big Wreck's "I Digress" [engineer won a Juno award for their work on this album], which features heavy bass, well recorded vocals, snappy snare, and a variety of well layered guitars. This is a style of music I produce for my own project so thought it would be fitting as a baseline.

It should be noted that having a headphone preamp helps push these larger drivers, especially at louder volume. I use a cheaper Rolls brand 4 output headphone amplifier, but have also tested on a LG G3 cell phone, and/or using the headphone output on my Tascam US-1800 digital interface.

I am not a professional reviewer and will try my best to describe the perceived differences between these headphones. Feel free to chime in with your thoughts!

Sennheiser HD600 $500 list, $288 Amazon http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/pics/sennheiser_hd600.jpg

These are the headphones I ended up going with in the end. The price online can't be beat, and they have a overall flat and delicate sound. They lack in artificially boomy bass that a few of the other options here suffer. The HD650 model supposedly colors the playback, and for sake of mixing I felt the cheaper and 'lower end' HD600 would be the better fit. These are open back headphones, so I will still be using my ATH-M50 for tracking. The HD600 also sounded phenomenal out of the box [no break-in required].

Focal Spirit Professional $400 list, $350 Amazon, Sweetwater http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rkWe8KCTL.jpg

The Focals were my first pick, and overall sound great. A little harsh until I broken them in overnight looping some progressive rock. Flat and detailed sound. The Focals are closed back so could be used for mixing and tracking, eliminating the need for the ATH-M50. Sadly the issue I couldn't get around was the fit. The ear cushions and overall size of the headphone was too small, and they were immediately uncomfortable. I had seen this mentioned in other online reviews. Since I never had issue with headphones fitting before I assumed that didn't apply to me. These are definitely a try before you buy. Good luck finding someone locally who has them on the shelf.

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro $299 list, $199 Amazon http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71yAY4QEjJL._SL1500_.jpg

The DT770 are very comfortable and had solid bass, a little too much to be considered true mixing headphones. For the price they were very tempting at the time (Guitar Center $229), but glad I held out for the HD600. I realize these are not a direct apples to apples competitor [see the DT880 $399 list, $349 Amazon] for the HD600 or Focal Spirit, and for less money they are certainly worthy of contention. Spend a little more though and get much more with the other options. Closed back.

Blue Microphones Mo-Fi $349 list http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61ifH3zLL6L._SL1151_.jpg

Slightly weird design and boomy low end (even with the boost turned completely off) prevented me from falling in love with these. They are good sounding and very comfortable. For casual listening and tracking I’d be very happy with these, for mixing definitely not. Out of the headphones I tried, I’d put these at the top for most enjoyable casual playback and fit/comfort. Nearer to the bottom for mixing. Closed back.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Pro $199 list, $139 Amazon http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JFc3ohbNL.jpg

I’ve been using the ATH-M50 for a couple years and think they’re great for the price. However they are very bass heavy and lack clarity in the midrange. Definition in the high frequencies also suffers a bit. For tracking they’re more than adequate and the cushions seal out the sound very well for that purpose. As casual music listening headphones they also excel, especially if you like your music playback bass heavy. In terms of mixing though, these would rank at the very bottom of this lineup. Closed back.

Last edited:
Ayo, all I read was "HD600 are the best".
I agree of course, because I have them too.
10/10 review.

Their biggest weaknesses are the ugly ass design, the embarrasing design of the box that they're sent in (looks like a 12 year created it in MS Paint) and the bleed. I use them as gym headphones as well (lol) and I'm always rather aware that I'm basically playing a radio for everybody on a quiet day.

What's the theory behind "breaking in headphones"?

What's the theory behind "breaking in headphones"?

Some drivers need to be loosened up, both for better bass response and to reduce the harshness in the highest frequencies:

The Science and Myth of Burning In New Headphones - Tested

I don't have a horse in the headphone race or audiophile cable wagging. The Focals were very harsh in the upper frequencies until they got about 12 hours of breakin, then much less. The difference with the Focals was audible. I wasn't even looking for or welcoming the idea of break-in, but once I just did it they definitely became smoother/less harsh sounding. This was the first time I ever broke in headphones, or owned a pair that exhibited symptoms of needing this to be done.

Regarding bleed, I figured I wasn't going to get much if I resold my ATH-M50s so getting an open back headphone really didn't matter.

Last edited:
I recently went shopping for new quasi-monitor grade headphones. The Audio Technica ATH-M50 are my current tracking headphones but I still rely on my studio monitors for the final mixing. I don't want or expect to replace my monitors, I am hoping to reduce my reliance on them during the bulk of the mixing process.

For testing I used a couple baseline tracks, in particular Big Wreck's "I Digress" [engineer won a Juno award for their work on this album], which features heavy bass, well recorded vocals, snappy snare, and a variety of well layered guitars. This is a style of music I produce for my own project so thought it would be fitting as a baseline.

It should be noted that having a headphone preamp helps push these larger drivers, especially at louder volume. I use a cheaper Rolls brand 4 output headphone amplifier, but have also tested on a LG G3 cell phone, and/or using the headphone output on my Tascam US-1800 digital interface.

I am not a professional reviewer and will try my best to describe the perceived differences between these headphones. Feel free to chime in with your thoughts!

Sennheiser HD600 $500 list, $288 Amazon http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/pics/sennheiser_hd600.jpg

These are the headphones I ended up going with in the end. The price online can't be beat, and they have a overall flat and delicate sound. They lack in artificially boomy bass that a few of the other options here suffer. The HD650 model supposedly colors the playback, and for sake of mixing I felt the cheaper and 'lower end' HD600 would be the better fit. These are open back headphones, so I will still be using my ATH-M50 for tracking. The HD600 also sounded phenomenal out of the box [no break-in required].

Focal Spirit Professional $400 list, $350 Amazon, Sweetwater http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rkWe8KCTL.jpg

The Focals were my first pick, and overall sound great. A little harsh until I broken them in overnight looping some progressive rock. Flat and detailed sound. The Focals are closed back so could be used for mixing and tracking, eliminating the need for the ATH-M50. Sadly the issue I couldn't get around was the fit. The ear cushions and overall size of the headphone was too small, and they were immediately uncomfortable. I had seen this mentioned in other online reviews. Since I never had issue with headphones fitting before I assumed that didn't apply to me. These are definitely a try before you buy. Good luck finding someone locally who has them on the shelf.

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro $299 list, $199 Amazon http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71yAY4QEjJL._SL1500_.jpg

The DT770 are very comfortable and had solid bass, a little too much to be considered true mixing headphones. For the price they were very tempting at the time (Guitar Center $229), but glad I held out for the HD600. I realize these are not a direct apples to apples competitor [see the DT880 $399 list, $349 Amazon] for the HD600 or Focal Spirit, and for less money they are certainly worthy of contention. Spend a little more though and get much more with the other options. Closed back.

Blue Microphones Mo-Fi $349 list http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61ifH3zLL6L._SL1151_.jpg

Slightly weird design and boomy low end (even with the boost turned completely off) prevented me from falling in love with these. They are good sounding and very comfortable. For casual listening and tracking I’d be very happy with these, for mixing definitely not. Out of the headphones I tried, I’d put these at the top for most enjoyable casual playback and fit/comfort. Nearer to the bottom for mixing. Closed back.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Pro $199 list, $139 Amazon http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JFc3ohbNL.jpg

I’ve been using the ATH-M50 for a couple years and think they’re great for the price. However they are very bass heavy and lack clarity in the midrange. Definition in the high frequencies also suffers a bit. For tracking they’re more than adequate and the cushions seal out the sound very well for that purpose. As casual music listening headphones they also excel, especially if you like your music playback bass heavy. In terms of mixing though, these would rank at the very bottom of this lineup. Closed back.

I have a tiny apartment with thin walls so monitors are out of the question and I needed a decent pair of headphones to at least give me a shot at making passable mixes. I think here, there's actually a great Audiofanzine comparison test, comparing 5 top headphones: AKG K702, BeyerDynamic DT880 Pro, Sennheiser HD650, Ultrasone PRO 2900 and Audio-Technica ATH-AD1000.

3 different editors gave their opinions (2 of them I know well personally, and trust them entirely with all things related to music), and I went with the AKG K702s which were only about $210 on Amazon at the time. Best. Decision. Ever.

The link I provided shows the 3 editors' preferences between the 5, but click on each headphone for the in-depth analysis of its pros and cons, in their opinion.

Yeah, I've read a lot of mixed stuff about the HD650s and many suggest, for mixing at least, to go with the HD600s. I didn't have access to a few of those models (although I do have an old pair of AKG for guest tracking).

Dollar for dollar the Beyerdynamics were damn good, but for true flat response for proper mixing the HD600 really were/are better. Been using the HD600s a lot since I posted this review and like them even more now.

Thanks for sharing the link. :)

Blue Lola $249 list Amazon, Sweetwater 81DirQywpBL._SY355_.jpg

The highs were almost non-existent and I'm not interested in managing custom EQ's just so I can use one pair of headphones, so resold them on eBay. The bass response, like with the original Blue Mo-Fi, was exceptional. With less electronics and no battery the already comfortable design was even nicer on the head and ears.

Last edited:
Back