Has anybody ever worked with a Samson Servo Power Amp?

CharleyBrown

Just curious as to their quality...I don't have a whole lot to spend on a power amp, but I saw the Samson Servo 170 for REAL cheap on e-bay, also saw the Samson Servo 500, and a few others for under or around $100, which is the most I really want to spend. How does it compare to the Alesis RA-100?

I am looking to purchase a power amp for my Yorkville YSM1s...

I'm real happy with my 120 - I use it to drive my Monitor-Ones. No experience with an RA-100, so can't compare.

One very satisfied Samson Servo 170 owner here. I mean it's not spectacular but the sound is clean and honest. Mine feeds a pair of Tannoy reveals and it does all I want. Not much more you can say about a power amp really.

We have a Servo 250 that has been serving our church for the past 6 years without complaining once. (used for monitors)
Very reliable.

Well, since most ppl here can answer one half of your question, I thought I'd answer the other half! :) That is, I've used an Alesis RA100 and was thoroughly unimpressed, especially after I scored a Hafler P1500 amp. Roughly the same power rating on paper, but there's no comparison; the Halfer is fuller, cleaner, more powerful.

I don't know how the Hafler compares to Samson ... that's why I can only answer half your question. :( But, I know lots of folks here (especially who hang out in the Rack forum) think highly of the Haflers. If you can wait to accumulate the $225 or so the Haflers are going for used, you'd probably be really happy. Sometimes "buy cheap, buy twice" really is a truth.

Maybe go in The Rack and ask for comparison between Samson, Alesis, and, if you want to consider them, Hafler P Series?

Good luck,

gg

They're usable, but not great by any stretch. If I were judging I'd say they were a small step above the Alesis RA series - but not by much.

A budget Hafler would be a much better choice.

Back