Great gear that Just Plain Works™

I can't imagine that I'm alone in having some sort of consistent or intermittent problem or bug with the majority of the equipment I use, be it Interfaces that have shoddy drivers (002), or USB keyboards that I have to unplug/re-plug in order for it to register, software that freezes or always has some sort of stupid bug, etc. etc. Does anybody have any gear that they swear by, that never breaks or has any problems, that never has issues or needs to be re-set or updated, etc.?

I'd say my monitors are just about the only pieces of gear that works consistently, every time, without fail, with no maintenance whatsoever. How 'bout you?

Yes, gear in 2010 sucks, it's bult on some very flawed dinosaur concepts.

My Summit gear is a dream. I've had my two TLA-100A compressors and a tube eq from them for about 20 years and it always works, has never been repaired except for free lightbulbs Mike, Summit the owner sent for free.

If I were making a dream studio I would buy lots and lots of stuff from Summit. It always works and always sounds expensive. That's the key word for the sound I look for - expensive.

My homemade stuff, like my speaker selector switch, passive volume control/summer and homemade mixer will probably be around forever and work flawlessly.

I have had several Mac's (maybe 14) and even with the latest updates etc they have all crashed at least once a day since day 1, all except for the laptops, which don't ever crash, which is good because I use them on stage. But regardless of anything, the desktop Macs I've used crash at least once a day. All computers suck because they use software based operating systems. Until they burn the OS to a chip I would imagine it will never be any good. I think that there's something very wrong with the Apple company, and I think it comes from Steve Jobs. I don't think his head is, or has been, in a good place for a long, long time.

My K-12 tube amp works flawlessly and that's a bargain for under $200, plus if it breaks I can talk to the guy who knows the schematic by heart, so it's a lifetime amp.

My Jensen Twin Servo mic pre only broke once in 20 years and then John Hardy fixed it for free even though it was out of warranty (by a decade) and I didn't even buy it from him. He paid for the parts, work and shipped it to Hawaii for free. I sent him a big care package. :)

I have a pair of Boss RCL-10 compressors that aren't half bad and have worked flawlessly with no repairs for over 25 years... pretty amazing.

I have a Harmon Kardon 430 amp that has never been repaired and works flawlessly and it's probably 25+ years old.

My M-Audio keyboards malfunction about once a month, those things are total garbage but I use 'em 'cause they're light. That's a junk company.

Any thing by FMR Audio comes to mind. Mark McQuilkin IS a former rocket scientist, and so, he comes from a "zero defects" products background. That's why you don't hear people complaining about their RNC, RNLA or RNP going out.

The only piece of gear I've never had ANY issue with in my studio are the overhead lights.

Wait, no, one just burned out. Nevermind.

All computers suck because they use software based operating systems. Until they burn the OS to a chip I would imagine it will never be any good. I think that there's something very wrong with the Apple company, and I think it comes from Steve Jobs. I don't think his head is, or has been, in a good place for a long, long time.

The Apple ][ had a firmware OS, and it crashed all the time too :drunk:

Back