Fostex VF160EX Recorder Questions

leroyleroux

I just got a 160 last week and used it this weekend...Was able to record on track one and it sounded good.

My problem is that I can't figure out how to record something on track 2, or any of the others...I've tried the manual, but I don't find this addressed specifically. Also, can you listen to track 1, while recording track 2?

My first project is a 2 track fiddle / guitar recording, and when I accomplish that, I want to record our 4 piece bluegrass band using 7 (or possibly more) tracks.

First time poster, so go easy on me. :)

leroyleroux said:
I just got a 160 last week and used it this weekend...Was able to record on track one and it sounded good.

My problem is that I can't figure out how to record something on track 2, or any of the others...I've tried the manual, but I don't find this addressed specifically. Also, can you listen to track 1, while recording track 2?

My first project is a 2 track fiddle / guitar recording, and when I accomplish that, I want to record our 4 piece bluegrass band using 7 (or possibly more) tracks.

First time poster, so go easy on me. :)

You may want to put this on the Fostex Forum. OK, so you have recorded on track one. Rewind. Arm track two, as you did track one. Disarm track one. Put track one's fader up to the '0' position, so you can hear it. Make sure your instrument is plugged into the #2 input. Using headphones, hit record/play and you will hear track one while recording onto two.

That's it in basic. But what you should do before actually recording is hit the record button only. Then you can set your level on a given track using the trim knob for the respective input. Get your level so it's consistently between the top line and the -12db line. Then hit Record/Play...

This is actually explained pretty well in the manual in the opening pages of making a recording. But in general the manual isn't great. The machine however, really is. Good buy!

Thanks for your response.

I see now there is a fostex forum, but before I joined I didn't see anything there.

I also see there is a newbie forum...I probably should have went there first. :o

Thanks again. I love the machine and am hoping to do some good things.

leroyleroux said:
Thanks for your response.

I see now there is a fostex forum, but before I joined I didn't see anything there.

I also see there is a newbie forum...I probably should have went there first. :o

Thanks again. I love the machine and am hoping to do some good things.

Even if you're new, the Fostex forum is the way to go. Welcome. Don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Back