Focal Solo or Adam A7x?

greengyozaman

Hi all

I do plenty of classical music concert recordings (mainly chamber music, chamber choir, piano solo and some chamber orchestra with choir) and I tried to listen to my sample tracks through a number of monitors (of varying sizes) at my local GuitarGuitar store...

For a while I was leaning towards a pair of Adam A-range monitors which responds up to 50 kHz (though I can't hear that high, the sound is so detailed and really good open sound).

But as soon as I listened to the same set of tracks through the pair of Focal Solos (£1700 a pair, as supposed to £760 a pair for pair of A7x) - the midrange suddenly opened up and I thought wow this was something different and rather amazed. 40 Hz to 40 kHz seems pretty wide enough frequency response coverage, and I must say the Solos do sound more natural - mid- and low-frequency range was so finely balanced with the high-end frequency...

Not sure if it's worth more than twice as much as A7x pair - any thoughts please, or any other alternatives you can recommend?

Thanks in advance.

I haven't used Adams (except when the band was mastering elsewhere) but I can say from experience that the Solo6 Be is a pretty darn nice monitor. Paired with a decent room I feel pretty confident about my work on them.

Thanks all so far - more confusing as now I also came across a pair of Tannoy Reveal 802 with 42 Hz - 43 kHz range for around £420 a pair. How do they do so cheap - and are they any good at all as your main monitor???

Try to get a demo of both so you can see how your work translates on them. Personally, I'd pick the Solos over the A7x (there's a reason they're that much more expensive)

Back