Foambymail Foam Review...

turnitdown

$10 PayPal=Your Ad Here!!
I rec'd my "foam" yesterday....

I bought 48 1' square tiles of the "Wedgies" in blue for $64, w/ no S&H fees off eBay. (using Buy It Now, the deal is there...)

I called Carlos at the company after ordering to confirm the free shipping, and see if any colors were out of stock. He was very nice, confirming all colors available, and tellling me to just deduct shipping fees in PayPal.

After shipping, he sent me an email w/ a UPS tracking number. (I like that..)

The foam arrived yesterday in a little, tiny package....
I opened it, and it looked like a blob of solid blue spray in "hard foam", wrapped in 60 layers of Saran Wrap.

After unwrapping *POOF*, it inflated to about 4 feet tall, 2 feet wide.... It was worth the price of the foam just to do that... My cats freaked out!! :D

The foam looks deformed at first, but takes overnight to restore it's proper shape. The tiles are perfectly square, the color is nice and consistant. I thuinbtacked a bunch of them to the wall (temporary test...), and they DID reduce the ringing I hear when clapping my hands in the room. This was using only about 10 tiles.

My only gripe is that the tiles are actually 11 3/4" square, not 12" as advertised. I plan on mounting them in groups of 8 (4x2) on pegboard or something similar, and was hoping it would cover edge to edge.. Not really a big deal, just a caveat...

My only question is this... This is a "spongy" (though kinda dense) sort of "foam rubbery" foam, which is good because it can't be "dented". Is the Auralex foam like that too, or is it more like styrofoam? (stiffer, ridgid...)

Also, the acoustic and properties and fire safety properties are posted on the manufacturer site, and compare favorably with Auralex. (Fire safety is "self extinguishing, good enough for California class B...)

Just an FYI for anyone looking for inexpensive mid/high frequency acoustic treatments that are "ready to go" out of the box....

I also got mine there (Burgundy - looks nice) and liked it.

I used 20"w x 45"h masonite (4 from a 4'x8' $9 masonite panel from Home Depot so it took 2 sheets to make 6 panels that hold 8 squares each.) Each panel is connected to the wall using 2 standard wall-screw anchors with the plastic wall inserts so I can take them down in a minute and easily patch the holes with a bit of spackle if I have to.

I've passed this tip on before in other posts, but I'll repeat it here:

Double-sided carpet tape doesn't hold squares permanently but does work to get them temporarily up.. the tape will only hold for a couple of days. But squirt a few lines of Arlene's FOAMTASTIC glue under each tile and they will hold forever. Arlene's can be found in any craft/sewing store for $4 a bottle and you'll only need one bottle. It looks like thick bluish-white glue and holds foam great. I've had no drop-offs on any panel that I tacked up with the Arlene's.

I just put mine up a grids of various sizes (3x3) (4x2) using 1 3/4" T-Pins.
Only needed 1 per square. Pressing each square into the one next to it just a bit, keeps them perfectly aligned and looking "tight" when used in an array.

(I almost bought the burgundy.... That looked good!)

YUp, they are truly God-send..... they work and A LOT cheaper than Auralex (well, at least to me after my currency conversion)

I got the 48pcs 2" pack.... planning to get another pack of 3"....

You need rigid fiberglass. works 100 times better and cheaper. The studio world is evolving

Well actually, I beg to differ...

If you study the numbers, (w/o getting into specifics...) foam works just about as good until you get into the lower freqs, then you need much thicker foam to compete. It really depends on what you want to do. If you have a bass management problem, 703 might be a better way to go. (BUT, you still have to build it/cover it/mount it....)

For a lot of folks, we mainly need to get rid of flutter, and the convenience/cost of foam works great. It is also much cheaper/available if you know where to buy it, seeings that you don't need to cover, mount etc... (not to mention time... my time is money, as I'm sure yours is...)

Also, as an FYI... Dense fiberglass has been around for a long time as an acoustic treatment...

Ethan certainly knows his sh*t, but he is also in business to sell product. And even he won't argue the numbers. I got the 703 stats from his site.... ;)

For me and many other, fiberglass just doesn't offer enough of a performace benefit to justify the hassle. Your milage may vary.... I'm just a home studio owner....

Another question (I'm new to acoustics):

I'm probably going to put the wedges on some kind of a wooden frame. I don't want to glue things to my wall (in order to reuse things later ...).
Is it a bad idea to mount that wooden frame (with the wedges) on something like a painting holder (a rail system). I could than slide the wedged up and down, or from left to right, ... .
This brings me to my actual question. The wedges would than be at around 1" (guessing) from the wall. Is this a bad thing, or a better thing ? What would be the result of this gap between wall and wedged ? Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance !

yes Trinitor, those are the 2" foams.... just got myself another 4" pack... dunno what to do with them yet... :)

Trinitor said:
Another question (I'm new to acoustics):

I'm probably going to put the wedges on some kind of a wooden frame. I don't want to glue things to my wall (in order to reuse things later ...).
Is it a bad idea to mount that wooden frame (with the wedges) on something like a painting holder (a rail system). I could than slide the wedged up and down, or from left to right, ... .
This brings me to my actual question. The wedges would than be at around 1" (guessing) from the wall. Is this a bad thing, or a better thing ? What would be the result of this gap between wall and wedged ? Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance !

Better, methinks.

I just put mine up a grids of various sizes (3x3) (4x2) using 1 3/4" T-Pins.
Only needed 1 per square. Pressing each square into the one next to it just a bit, keeps them perfectly aligned and looking "tight" when used in an array.

(I almost bought the burgundy.... That looked good!)

What are these T-Pins you speak of. Gotta link or something? Thanks

quick tip for securing the foam: elmer's white glue does wonders on that shit

and i ordered some of the FBM stuff a while back, and can assure you that it's crap compared to auralex, and expecting the same sort of sonic performance from the 2 is like racing a 75cc dirtbike against a harley

Back