Equalizers

Howdy

I presently have a DOD SR231QX Equalizer..... I bought it last year and my decision was made primarily on price... I know, not always the best way to make a decision. Digitech says it is their "flagship".... but, that really doesn't say much.

Anyway, I am wondering what others are using and if this unit is actually decent enough.... it seems to work well, but I am a novice and am looking for input from other more experienced than myself.

I think as far as inexpensive EQ goes, the dbx 242 really seems to do the job. Rane and Symetrix also seem to make some very usable stuff.

Although I'm not familiar with their "flagship" models, my impression of DOD is that they make some very basic, amateur / entry-level kind of stuff, so it depens on how serious you are about sound quality. I could be wrong, though, obviously.

How are you using the EQ? Do you need 2 channels? Does it have to be a graphic equalizer? I have an Aphex 109 which offers 4 bands (mono) and two bands (stereo) plus a tube design. They may be discontinued but I've seen them advertised at about $399.

Chessrock.... since I am new to recording equipment, I don't know if this unit is amateur or not... but then, obviously since the unit only cost around 150.00 bucks, I figure it is probably not the best out there. <g> I will definately take a look at those companies you mentioned.

As far as the serious thing goes... I think I am just now beginning to learn enough to figure out that if I am gonna get serious about it, I had better start learning some stuff. <g>

dwillis.... basically, I have used the unit to push various frequencies up or down, thereby bringing certain instruments or vocals more to the forefront or to the back. That probably makes no sense to you, but I am not certain as to how to explain it. I have some rough mixes of some tracks that were done at a studio and since my band has broken up, I am trying to finish them. If I can eq the rough mixes a bit, perhaps I can produce a more finished sound. And then again, I may be going about it all wrong.... I am "winging it" here. I learned only a bit about recording when at the studio.

Dang, I don't have a clue whether graphic is better than parametric.... I don't even know the differences between the two. <g> I was quite serious when I said I was a novice. <g>

I'll take a shot in the dark on it.... graphic would mean having more bands of equalization and parametric would mean having less and more of an "overall" sound trim? I dunno.... so much to learn!

Back