DynAudio BM5A

CoolCat

unbelievable deal today grabbing some mint DynAudio BM5A for $175 for a pair.
I test-drove these 10+yrs ago but couldnt afford them. Been settled with KRK V6 version 1 with Focal tweeters I got for $200 pair, but when these DynAudio BM5A popped up for $175 a pair I figured it was a typo!! but no, it was just someone selling them.
(no...they are not stolen. )
(yes ...they came from a large production company that is legitimate.)

some timemachine articles.
Dynaudio BM5A Active Monitors Reviewed by Dan Richards Reviewed by Dan Richards

Dynaudio BM5A |

These are the rev 1 version , I got. (preceding the BM5AmkII and the BM5A compact.)

The rev 1 (active) following the passive version era, includes a 6.5" woofer and the Esotec tweeter. Port Bass at 55hz.
50W/50W 50hz to 21khz.
TC Electronic
Sindalsvej 34
DK-8240 Risskov
Denmark

One of the best features implemented in the DynAudio.

Overload Protection Circuitry
One of the many clear advantages of active speakers over passive is that the interface between the drivers and their driving amplifiers is firmly defined. Knowing exactly how powerful the amplifiers are and precisely the thermal and excursion-limited power handling of the drivers means that effective and worthwhile driver protection can be incorporated. With passive speakers, effective protection is almost impossible — it just can't accommodate the almost limitless variety of possible amplifier and driver combinations — but with active speakers it can work well.

The BM5A takes advantage by incorporating a full complement of protection features for both drivers. In the case of the tweeter, a mute circuit kicks in if the current delivered exceeds a preset level. And in the case of the bass/mid-range driver, a limiter circuit reduces the excursion if the extremities are approached. Along with the driver protection, the BM5A's amplifiers are also thermally protected and will shut down if they get too hot. Bearing all this protection in mind with the inherent high power handling of the drivers, I'd expect the BM5As to be all but unburstable. Should they approach bursting point, however, an orange front-panel LED indicates bass/mid-range driver protection and a red LED shows amplifier temperature protection.

SETUP-

ok Rear Ported. I dont have the setup in a room offering 24" behind the speakers so I go to the manual.

High Pass is set Flat = no sub
Level is set to 0, options +4 and -10 ...Im not sure what my interface output is?

EQ-
LF recommends -2db for close walls...
MF is for preference of midrange. It offer +2db or 0db or -2db and -4db. Im leaving at 0db for now.
HF is +/-1db for preference

Optional 1 to 3 meters away from user (3.ft to 9.2ft.)

TRS 1/4 is the interface output to a XLR on the DynAudios.

In a way its a good thing the DynAudios dont have a volume knob.
Theres only placement. and volume ran from the interface.

now what to play?
one of my standards is Rubber Soul, its the final era of Norman Smith as the Beatles engineer.
Revolver Geoff came in. So those two are favorites. A nice combination of ballads and pop.

Some Classical...

Then for the new stuff probably something from internet, 2010 or newer.

:thumbs up:

Sound-

1) No volume adjustment on the DynAudio so the KRK were adjusted 5db up to match per my Smart Phone "Decibel Meter" app. Setting to 85db which is where all frequencys are supposedly flat, if I recall, hmm?
My room is small and no anechoic chamber for sure, so this is the biggest fact on these reviews (and ears)

2) So trying out some recordings-hmmm... ok...hmmm? I dont have a A/B switch on the interface that sucks.

3) Material is very subjective, Im a guitar/vocal music dude and enjoy it all, but if mixing its going to be guitar and vocal 99% of the time. No rap subsonic bass...no synths and usually not even decent drums....my stuffs oldie goldie era of the past for the most part.

3a)So reference tracks are off oldie goldie mono stuff of the Beatle ballads And I Love Her, the Dyns had more bass, and the KRK/focal tweeters preferred. Maybe the rear port is doing this in the up close to the wall setup, the KRK front port is kind of blah and to be honest this old era of bass wasnt that hot at times due to the market end user was playing a mono radio car speaker.Classical- new stuff digital recorded stuff makes it all sound better.

I tried numerous different genres of playbacks using the DAW/Reaper. Results were the same with the DynAudio having more clarity in the bass and the Focal Tweeter on the KRK better highs. (i replaced the stock KRK tweeters with these old focal/krk tweeters)

Verdict:
I can tell from first impression I kind of like the KRKV6 with Focal tweeters better, they are crisp.
but the BM5A are really adding more bass clarity, again so at least Im getting some consistency.
some other quick listens and Im pretty much done. newer stuff samples....ok Im done.

Neither are sounding that great to be honest. My room sucks not the speakers really.
...when I put on my BeyerDT880 Open Backs, into the Grace Design 901 headphone amp, its no contest, this headphone setup blows away using speakers in this HR room in both clarity and freq response.

Now I have 2 sets of monitors I wont use much. lol ??

ymmv

Last edited:
Back