Do I need a mixer?

mjamed

I am only interested in recording a couple of acoustic guitars and a couple of vocal tracks on my songs. I am using a very simple mixer (no tweaking, no effects, 4 channels input and one output) this mixer is hocked up to my computer then I modify the mix using Cool Edit pro.
I need to get modify the different tracks before they’re mixed on my pc (cause I won’t be able to edit tracks separately by then). For e.g. I want the guitar track to sound different than the vocal track.

So Do I need a mixer to do that? Or is it possible by cool edit?
If yes, is Mackie 1202-VLZ pro the best option? Mackie CFX12? Or?

I wouldn't say that a mixer has to be used for recording music, especially if you are only recording a couple of acoustic guitars and a couple of voices, it sounds like you need an audio interface to record to more than one track on CEP.

Check around the board for ideas on interfaces.

Later,
musik

If you're recording all the tracks at the same time, then I don't think your current setup will do it. But if you record them seperately, one at a time, then why not?

I've only used cool edit a handful of times, right now I use Cakewalk. Granted, I have Mona connected to my computer, but before that I just started using my computer mic. I'd record the guitar on one track. Go back, record the vocals on another track.

So if you're doing a few instruments at once, they'll probably all have to be on the same track. If you're doing them one at a time, then multiple tracks should be possible.

Back