Digital Recorder Workstation Recommendations

mike2731

Hi Everyone, I've recently decided to get back into home recording after a layoff of 5+ years. I currently have an Alesis ADAT 8 track setup, but I was looking at some of the new hard disk based all-in-one type Digital Workstations, and I think that is the direction I would like to go. I would really like to find a nice unit to consolidate a lot of my studio into one package. I record a lot of guitar based music (acoustic and electric), as well as vocals. I plan on keeping my old Korg X-3 to use for midi control/synths. My problem is, I don't know much about the hard disk based recorders. A few major questions I have are:

1) Are they truely all-in-one systems? ie, do they have multi-effects, drum sounds, synth sounds, mixer capabilities, etc...

2) How is the sound quality compared to a format such as ADAT?

3) What systems come the highest rated? I'm looking for something in the $1000 to $1500 range.

4) Is there anything else I REALLY need to know about these type units?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. I can't believe how much has changed in 5 years!!

Mike

Yo Mike:

If you read the advertising about the SIAB [studio in a box] they all proport to do a good job. I think most of them do. I can speak about the Yamaha 2816 because I have one. It is a SIAB but it's really a PC in miniature.

The sound quality is very good. Learning curve, depends how much you already know. Burning the CD from the mix is pretty easy -- getting it just right, that takes more time. But, the more you do it, the easier it becomes.

Yam makes two other units: 4416 their first entry, and the AW16 a less expensive box. The 2816 is less than 2k.

The FX on the 2816 is "very good." Yam effects are, perhaps, about the best. The EQ is kind of over-inflated on the screen but works all right.

I haven't really gotten a handle on the "flying faders." I understand the principal but they don't figure too much in my work. I push the faders around like I always did and they do their popping up and down when they feel like it.

The 2816 will record 8 tracks at once and play back all of them. Although it's touted to be a 16 track box, I've read that it is not quite 16 tracks as two tracks are stereo returns.

But, I enjoy the box. I'm sure the Korg or Akai of Fostex will also do a nice job.

Look around and listen to some of the SIAB's and see what you like.

Green Hornet:D :p :p :cool: :p

Thanks Hornet. I've been looking around at a few machines online, trying to find out whatever I can. The Fostex VF160 looks very nice, but I'm not sure why it is so inexpensive. I like that it is, but it makes me suspicious. I've also been reading up the Yamaha AW16G, and the Korg D1200MKii, although I'm thinking I'd prefer the additional tracks of the Yamaha or Fostex (16 to 12). I have a fully operational ADAT set up, and have my Mackie mixer, and a rack full of processors, and my old Korg X-3. From what I've seen, the Digital Workstations would replace my ADAT, Mixer, and some effects. I am of the feeling that I could gain up to 8 more tracks, and after selling the ADAT and Mackie, not be behind much $$$$. I was an early adopter of home recording, and have recorded for many years on many systems, so I'm not too worried about getting sounds I like put down to tracks, I just want to make sure I get something that brings out the best in what I create.

Yo Mike:

Well, from your previous background, I'm sure you will be able to get around whatever box catches your fancy.

I've read that the "buttons" break on some Roland models and for a while you had to get a Roland CD burner -- none of the others would work with their box.

Korg looks interesting from the ads.

Yamaha doesn't have the best EQ but you can always use an outboard EQ box if needed.

The AW16 is pretty popular and they have a site. You might want to visit that site and read some of the comments.

If you can manage a trip to a major vendor, like Sweetwater, you can get a hands-on demo on various boxes.

Good luck and have fun recording.

Green Hornet

:D :cool:

Mike,

The AW16G site is very nice and you can get a lot of good information there.

One question you may want to ask yourself is the 16 versus 24 bit A/D conversion resolution and storage needs you anticipate.

The next generation of audio wether it is DVD audio or SACD is moving from 16 bit DC and MD to 24 bit and with higher frequency of conversion.

Most of the people around here using PC based systems and digital storage are already using 24 bit.

The reason I bring this up is in the Yamaha line the AW16G can be found for under $1,000 but only stores at 16 bits.

The 2816 and 4416 will store at 24 bit and are ready to go with the next genereration but you will pay more for it as well.

The AW16g will convert at 24 bits and the EQ uses 36 bit algorhythms but in the end the HD only stores at 16 bit.

I went with the AW16G for my meager needs but I just got it and am just now reading the manual etc. so I can't vouch for it yet other than I did a lot of research before deciding and joined the AW16G user forum.

Here is the link http://forum.aw16g.com/index.php?sid=4278b8b520b2047e5297826a6055bcf9

Mike, I wouldn't worry about the VF160's price tag if I were you. There's nothing suspicious about it and it is a reliable and true 16 tracker as it can record up to 16 tracks simultaneously which is something the other low end multitrackers just can't handle.

Best of all in your case is that buying the VF160 wouldn't make your ADAT machine obsolete because you can use the ADAT as external AD converter to input the extra 8 channels for 16 track recording and you can even use the ADAT to backup VF160's tracks onto tape pretty easily.

Back