defeat compressor on video camera

probably not, but if their is no manual gain control (i assume their’s not, usually that's the case)....... what would you do with it if the comp was by-passed?

On the sony cameras, there's usually a menu option like äudio".
You're looking for AGC and Wind Reduction.
Both of these have a compressor built in, but switching them out should bypass them.
I also believe that there is a hard limiter that has a thres of about -6dBFS. Aim to have your peaks around there and your RMS at about -12dBFS (this is standard in the boradcast industry... well at least it is here). So long as you've got a clean signal coming in, then you can just gain it up in post.

One thing about the Sonys that I don't like is the noisefloor- it's pretty high, ujp to -45dBFS with the motors turning, which can be noticable if you're recording a low source. If you're really concerned about your audio, invest in a small 2-channel mixer (like a Shure) and a MD/DAT 2-track recorder. Even a consumer/prosumer MD will usually give you better results than using the onbaord audio- just make sure that you can get at least 48kHz with it.

giraffe said:
probably not, but if their is no manual gain control (i assume their’s not, usually that's the case)....... what would you do with it if the comp was by-passed?

well, i have been using it as a field recorder of sorts. sometimes the compressor pumps really bad. i just found this http://www.studio1productions.com/xlr-bp_pro.htm yesterday, thinking about picking one up... my specific camera actually has very low self noise. i noticed this cuz i have two friends that also have sony cameras. their audio always has alot of camera noise. mine doesnt...

Heh, low self noise on a sony? Lucky you... save you lugging around more gear...

If you've only got 1/8" connectors, then the bit of kit you listed should work, however I doubut it will defeat any inbuilt compressor.

Just as a matter of interest, are you just using the built-in mics? Are you sure it's a compressor, and not crappy mics?

i have a canon minidv camera from about 4 years ago and i don't use it anymore because of the stupid built in compressor. i wish there was a way to get rid of it :(
i plugged in a mixer to it and recorded to make sure it wasn't just the mic

I figure that you're never really going to be able to bypass it, so I'd just go with the "buy outboard recorder" option if you're really serious.

Plus, location recording can be fun.

Back