Console for small portable set up?

Fenace

Hello,
I'm just trying to put together a simple and portable studio (hobbyist..).
I have a Korg D3200 but am considering selling it to get a Projectmix I/O from M-Audio. That way I can have 8 mic pre's straight into pro tools and not have to deal with so many pieces of hardware.

Just wondering if this is a good idea or if you guys can suggest better pieces of hardware I can use. The appeal in the project mix is the 8 pre's, but I also would rather something I could use as an actual mixer and not just a Pro Tools controller... So I'm not sure how to go.
If there is a better way to go please let me know. Having at least 8 mic pre's is important to me because I like to do a lot off the floor, and I really am not interested in anything with just 4 like a lot of the digital recorders and digidesign products tend to have.
Also, I prefer to use Pro Tools and Logic so I'd rather not change my setup too drastically. The main reason for the change is that I'd like to start using the computer more for editing and tracking because I've only really used hard drive recorders in the past and I'm getting tired of not having a display..

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Back