connecting compressor

JLinardi

hi we are adding a compressor to our setup and have 2 questions.

1) When connecting the compressor do you connect the mic to the compressor then plug the compressor into the mic socket on the mixer?

2) If you connect the mixer up in the way i described above, will the condenser mic still recieve the phantom power from the mixer to allow it to power up?

Thanks

No. You connect the compressor to a channel on the mixer via its insert socket using a Y cable. You plug the microphone into the XLR socket on the desk, as per usual.

The TRS end of the Y cable goes into the Insert on the desk and the TS ends go into the In and Out sockets on the compressor.

I hope this compressor isn't for studio use. If you bought one without understanding how it works, you might not be ready for a compressor. Not to be a dick.

no i dont have a home studio, its just a computer with a mixer connected to it and a condenser mic, me and my mate just use it to make our own songs.

At the moment i dont know much about how the compressor works, i have a basic idea of how to set it up, but theres only one way im gonna learn properly isnt there...

JLinardi said:
just a computer with a mixer connected to it
If, and only if, the mixer has channel inerts are you going to be able to make use of the condendser mic. Compressors do not provide phantom power.

Mark7 already gave you a good answer --- as far as which is in and which is out on the Y cable, you have a 50/50 chance of being right...

Back