Computer Interface or Studio Purchase Advice

Samotone

I’m currently using a TASCAM Portastudio 414 as a scratch pad and to dub demo cassettes.

I use an Alesis SR-16 for the drum tracks and run guitars through an effects pedal (i.e. Digitech BP-200) into the 414.

Anyway, I have Cakewalk Home Studio on my standard Pentium III home computer and would like to start creating my songs on the computer for eventual mixdown to CD.

Can you provide some advice on what interface equipment I might purchase to start recording on my computer. The music is for personal, friends/family, posterity use. I desire quality sound, but not looking to make an investment for a professional studio. I’m really looking for a budget system, but would be willing to spend up to $500.

I was thinking I could purchase an Edirol UA-1A USB Audio Interface and run instruments through my 414 as I am doing now and having the signal link to the computer through the UA-1A interface versus recording to tape. (414 as a mixer)

My second thought was purchase an Edirol UA-20 24-bit USB Digital Audio and MIDI Interface and not have to use the 414 at all. My thought is the UA-20 would provide me the same input capability that I have now with the 414 (I only lay down one track/instrument at a time). (nix the 414)

The Audiosport Quattro MIDI/USB interface look like a bargain too, but since I only record one instrument at a time thought it was a waste of money.

Third option, buy a new digital studio?

Any advice or alternate ideas for a low-dough solution or what equipment would be the most bang for the buck under $500 will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Samot

Back