Cheap gear that sounds great!

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
Name your favorite "cheap" piece of gear, less than $200, which happens to work sonic wonders ... and that has no right to sound "THAT GOOD" for the price ...

It can be ANY gear, from ANY time period ....

This should be fun! :D

Daniel

Less than $200 is certainly going to put the brakes on... Mogami cables sound good and you can get (most of) those for less than $200. But I'm sure that's not what you're looking for...

Going a little higher (and I just saw another thread on this) is the ART Pro VLA. That thing has bang-for-the-buck for days, even at retail. And MF is blowing them out for $239. I've got one in the racks here and it certainly doesn't feel lonely too often.

Whoa - That sounds kinda sick... Let's just say it gets used occasionally and leave it at that. :eek:

Oktava MC012's

They're not perfect, but I'm not ready to spring for KM184's just yet. I wish the mid-bass area was more clear, but they never sound bad. Cymbals are never too harsh with these. I own 3, and they are each slightly different, but two are close enough for stereo recording.

Under $200, that's really tough. I have a few pieces that fit that description though.

DBX 160X compressors go for around $200 on eBay. I have a couple of those that I love and also picked up some DBX 903 compressor modules for well under $200 each, and some Aphex Expressor modules for under $100 each. My DBX 900 rack was under $200, new in the box. Just bought a couple DBX 905 eq modules for well under $200 too! I think these modules and the older DBX professional gear in general sounds great and is a steal at current used prices.

A while back Guitar Center was blowing out Groove Tubes DITTO DI boxes for $199, and those sound WAAAY better than $199.

The best low budget 24/96 converter in my opinion is the ART DI/O, which sell for around $139 or so. Maybe less if you get a good deal. I have three of them, and they sound better than they should for the price, especially once you get a better powersupply for them.

As Massive mentioned, MF is blowing out ART PRO VLA's for $239. A great deal. Not sure how close I'd want to get to his PRO VLA though, sounds messy.

Several pieces of gear come to mind. M-Audio DMP-3, TC Electronics M300, Yamaha Pacifica, Behringer VAMP Pro, AKG C2000B, FMR Audio RNC, Sennheiser HD280 Pro. There you go- a complete signal chain with no component over $200. A mic, an axe, a modeler, a preamp, a compressor, an FX box/A-D convertor, and some cans.-Richie

DBX 160x or xt, most definitely large bang for minimum bucks.

Antares ATR-1 Autotune Hardware.

DMP3

Marshall V67, Shure 57, Oktava MC012

TC Electronics M1 or M1XL or the M300

RNC of course

Any patch bay in this price range.

Used Soundcraft mixers

Behringer Headphone amps

The Sansamp Bass Driver DI - better for live than recording, admittedly, but I love the way it lets you gently tweak the sound, nothing extreme.

Also for live work (fem vox) the AKG C900 hand held stage condenser, lets her sing like she's in the studio and make her presence felt (actually I use it for BV's on recording as well, will be posting some examples soon).

I nominate Tracktion, Synth 1 and Triangle II -
Tracktion --- $80.00; Synth 1 --- free; Triangle II --- free. Total $80.00

And then there's that DBX 160 squaremeter that I found in a second hand shop festooned with stickers for $69.00. That was 15 years ago and it hasn't left my side since...

My Vic Firth Drumsticks.......wait...did you mean electronic gear?

Maybe its my Hearos digital reference ear plugs......damn...not electronic.

I give up.

cheap gear under 200 bucks......very high value for money
1. a used amd duron pc i found for a friend that does 36 tracks easy
cost 100 bucks.
2. some old traynor amps and vintage stuff my wife found at yard sales
for 5 bucks. a pair of tascam spkrs like new for 8 bucks.
3. powertracks multitrack software from pgmusic.com for 29 bucks.
does 48 tracks and 24 bit. best deal around imho. fantastic.
4. mics - cad gxl series. used mics at pawn shops like shures for 20 bucks.
5. giveaway old cassette decks for monitoring from soundcards.
6. free audacity multitracker and hotstepper (sample sequencer).
SIR free reverb with impulse modelling. lots of free software around and plug ins.
7. pair of cyber acoustic spkrs for 29 bucks a friend just got.
and i could go on.....

ecm8000
yamaha mg series mixers
sp b1

marshall mosfet lead 100 head... these are true sleepers, prob the best ss guitar amp i've ever heard, definantly a lovely flavour.

Oh yeah, I got a brand new Mapex kick and rack tom for £50. The guy bought himself a drumkit for his midlife crisis and then found out he couldn't play.

Back