Carvin Powered mixer.... help...

TaylorEGO

I have an old carvin 6 channel powered mixer for my practice space...
and it works fine... but when I power it on... the mics come through really quiet and distorted (sounds like through a blown tube / torn speaker)

then If you yell once into the mic and sort of sonically kick start the PA... it pops loud once and then works perfectly for a while until it sometimes slips back into broken mode and needs help again.

any ideas what the problem might be and if there's an easy fix for it?

thanks
-Taylor

thanks, I just sent them an e-mail... I'll see what they say, i have just never encountered a problem like this where it can be fixed consistantly... but is still pretty much broken. its so weird.

The problem you describe is usually a dirty or loose connection. Connectors oxidize over time, and a loose internal connection can respond just like you say-hit it with a big signal, and it works for awhile.

Buy some deoxit by CAIG and clean the mic inputs and 1/4" jacks on the mixer. Just spray a little on a cable and push it in and out of the mixer in each input a few times. If that doesn't work, the problem is in an internal connector.

It should be pretty easy to open the thing up and wiggle any ribbon connectors you see. You can clean these as well, but don't just spray deoxit on them. They should be taken apart. Many need a special tool or some fancy plier/screwdriver work to get apart, and they are usually on there pretty freakin' tight.

But be very careful. There will probably be some big capacitors in there somewhere, and they can hold potentially lethal charges. If you feel uncomfortable, take it somewhere.

A cleaning/reseating of all the connections inside shouldn't be too much.

First check the pots, turn them back and forth with the power on and listen for crackles in the speakers.

If there are any send/receive loops then stick a jack in it and jerk it in and out and listen if the volume pops in, Connect a jack cable between send/receive.

If it has inserts then insert a stereo jack with tip and ring connected together.

If you open it up first disconnect it for few hours while the caps discharge, LEAVE IT DISCONNECTED. Check for bad soldering usually found where connectors and heavy compnents are soldered to the circuit board.

If this sounds confusing, get someone qualified to do it for you.

Back