Budget monitors for metal

FutureBreed

I would like to buy my first monitors but i'm kinda on a budget and i want to buy them mainly for metal production. I can choose right now between Mackie CR4, Alesis Elevate 5, Reloop ADM-5 and Pioneer DM-40. The Reloop and Pioneer are geared more towards DJs, i don't know if they would be suitable for metal.
I would appreciate if someone would help me choose one of these :P

No such thing as Metal ready monitors : )

In this range, I'd just worry about front, or, rear port, and if you can get some room EQ switching - Alesis has a bass boost. And, whatever features you need. For bass, a lot of budget people rely on headphone with a flat-ish bass section.

I didn't mean monitors specifically made for metal, but monitors suitable for metal production. :)
Anyway, thanks for the reply

I do stuff that's what I call 'Progressive Blues Metal' (like if Kenny W Shepherd was jamming with Iron Maiden or Deep Purple) that works the monitors pretty hard if that's what you're concern is.

Event TR-8s.

Scrape up some extra bucks and move up the chain a bit. Not that mine are great, but I find them very useable for heavier stuff and they have stood up well to my abuse for some years now.

I do stuff that's what I call 'Progressive Blues Metal' (like if Kenny W Shepherd was jamming with Iron Maiden or Deep Purple) that works the monitors pretty hard if that's what you're concern is.

Event TR-8s.

Scrape up some extra bucks and move up the chain a bit. Not that mine are great, but I find them very useable for heavier stuff and they have stood up well to my abuse for some years now.

Ya, everything monitoring, here, is off eBait used. unpowered six-sided Tannoy 5", 2-way and RSL mini monitors - 8", 3-way, unported.

Normally, I would expect used ECHO/Event to be less abused

Event TR-8s.

I agree, its not easy to do but hold on and get something up a bit to 8" 6" minimum....4,5" work great with a sub though but can be pretty weak without the help of a sub. small speakers just cant get it for the lowend. however I had some 5" and added a stereo sub, $40 JBL home unit and it was like wow!....

of the ones you listed Id go with which has the 5" or 6" woofer/driver. then save for a subwoofer and chop it off at 80hz or even 120hz to the sub and the smaller speakers will then be an entirely different sound handling only the mids and highs.

Last edited:
Even 120- 240 x-over can still leave a lot of distortions in the lower cost driver. You are still helping the poor baby out a lot, though.

well its a midrange driver right? 4"...3"....5" maybe low-mids.
I mean anything can work to some extent, even GM used Auratones at AIR studios, and yamaha 10's werent known for bass.

But for modern heavy metal with speed kick and thunderous bass....man I dont know. I had a pair of Mackie HR8 or whatever they were that would take a beating and the KRKV8 would laugh at loud, V8 was an appropriate id.

dang garrw what happened at RR? hackers looking to upset the Hillary from going there too?

haha. My '90s 5-inch Tannoy can do bass OK. But not two bass - like kick and guitar : )

The tribute K-H kh120 lists some impressive distortion numbers, though.

YA, RR was a Operation Gladio Event. I gave up on reading the doom and gloom threads, so I don't know what point that got to : )

yeah man.

i recall some 5" MAudio BX5 were the big seller for a month and they sounded like crap until I added my subwoofer from the theatre setup....and wow...big improvement. then they sounded better than my 2ways.

SOS did a good article ofn HiiFi winning out over "active " monitors in some blindfolds....small B&W 303 or something. but then theres the amp needed.

I'm not really sure why they chose the B&W ? Oh, I see they were recent speakers getting some buzz.

Ya putting surface mount boards in a vibrating box is a good idea. aha

Im confused.. the Reloop is $500 pair and the Alesis is $150 a pair?

at $400 a pair you can get into Behinger TRuths 8"s which Ive heard and are really great and many others.
$400 pair you can get some well done stuff that would crush the Alesis, for example.
At $150 pair like the Alesis Elevate5, Im skeptical they would do much.
$400 pair Behringer 2031A at 265watts and 8".
$300 the 2030's at 6.5".

Used theres some good stuff to have for $300-$400, a whole different game there.

Back