Broken jack plug lodged in phones socket of Behringer Q502USB mixer

itm

When I removed my headphones from the headphone socket of this mixer the end of the jack plug (10mm below the lowest ring) became detached, and is now stuck in the base of the headphone socket. This prevents me from plugging in other headphones, and has effectively disabled the headphone socket. Does anyone know whether it would be feasible to disassemble this unit to remove the detached segment of jack plug? Has anyone taken one of these apart before?

Probably feasible to disassemble, but likely will entail taking quite a bit of the mixer apart. Guessing all the knobs and nuts that retain the controls on the front panel would need to be removed and then possibly the circuit board to which the jack is mounted. I have a feeling to remove the plug tip from the jack you'll also need to unsolder the jack from a circuit board, as I suspect the jack is similar to the one in the image below which doesn't provide easy access to the piece stuck inside. You may need to push the piece out from the back side of the jack which would necessitate its removal.

Did the shaft that extends from the base of the headphone plug stay attached to the base part or it attached to the tip that is stuck in the jack? If just the tip is in there can you see a hole in it where the shaft would fit into?

Attachments

• a-1121_1.jpg
    a-1121_1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 3
Probably feasible to disassemble, but likely will entail taking quite a bit of the mixer apart. Guessing all the knobs and nuts that retain the controls on the front panel would need to be removed and then possibly the circuit board to which the jack is mounted. I have a feeling to remove the plug tip from the jack you'll also need to unsolder the jack from a circuit board, as I suspect the jack is similar to the one in the image below which doesn't provide easy access to the piece stuck inside. You may need to push the piece out from the back side of the jack which would necessitate its removal.

Did the shaft that extends from the base of the headphone plug stay attached to the base part or it attached to the tip that is stuck in the jack? If just the tip is in there can you see a hole in it where the shaft would fit into?

Shining a light into the socket, the broken tip of the jack actually seems to be lying sideways at the bottom of the socket (I can see the green ring). It's just the nobbly bit on the end that has broken off. I've tried to put a screwdriver into the socket to force it away from the socket channel, but while there is some movement, it refuses to move out of the way (presumably there are adjacent components on the motherboard which are blocking it). What a mess!

At the moment the unit may have some resale value if someone wants to use the Line Out jacks and has no need for phones, so I'm nervous about soldering or prodding around too much in case I reduce it to a write-off! Ideally I'd like to get an of what the board looks like from above, so assess whether I can safely try to force the broken tip aside, but Behringer support have rather helpfully suggested that I take it to an authorised repair centre, where I can presumably get this £50 unit repaired for a very reasonable £60!

Here are pictures of the part-disassembled unit:
Behringer jack IMG_20180403_155940.jpgBehringer-jack-2-IMG_20180403_164438.jpg
The top red arrow in the 2nd pic is the underside of the jack socket. The two arrows on the bottom are the only retaining screws for the board. If you look at the top photo you can just about see the gold tip of the jack at the base of the socket.

Easy to say and not to do but you could probably retrieve the part with superglue and a cocktail stick, or a long thin screw.
I've done the former.

Easy to say and not to do but you could probably retrieve the part with superglue and a cocktail stick, or a long thin screw.
I've done the former.

Thanks - that sounds tricky but a great idea. At this stage the main challenge is trying to get the broken tip back into an upright position - it is lodged very firmly and needs something pretty rigid with a hook or L-shape at the end to pull it upwards. A bent paper clip is nowhere near strong enough.

Back