Boss Br-8 Digital recorder

Tim Kovacs

I am thinking of buying the Boss Br-8 Digital 8 track recorder. This is a huge investment, so I was wondering if anyone recommends this model. It lists for $700 and I think it is the best for the money. Any suggestions?

I just found the BR8 for $630 at Riks Music and think that's a pretty smokin' deal. Just thought I would pass this on for all of you thinking about buying one. I bought my 840EX from them last April. They're based out of Nashville I believe.

I got an email last week advertising this but the price isn't listed on the website (too low to advertise, we'll send the price by by e-mail...)as I just checked.

Anyways, the email said this:

"Boss BR-8-Roland’s newest 8 track recorder is in stock. This is the easiest recorder ever made. Even a child
could jump in and start recording in minutes. The unit uses easy to obtain removable zip 100 disks, has built in FX, and even a built in rhythm track. With a price of $629.95 these units are a dream come true. "

The web site is:
http://www.riksmusic.com and then you'll need to go under "Recording equipment" or something similar.

Free shipping too.

Wish

http://www.mp3.com/IWish

See Icon above.

It is easy to use, however if you use all 8 tracks you get only approx 2min worth of recording time. The rhythm tempo guide sounds like a plastic metronome and the so-called "Phrase-Trainer" is weak version of a riff sampler.
I auditioned a used and a new 1 @ Sam Ash (used 525.00 new 675.00). Over-all it's a half-ass decent DAW,but if you can save up a few more dollars,it would be wise to at least look at other models such as the Tascam 788 or even a Korg D16. Invest wisely,audition the gear,read up on it and take your time. Just my 2cents worth.
Peace
Mr.Q

I nearly bought one but went pc instead.Cause the Zip is not pc compatible and would have to get a standalone burner to create cds off it

Seems to me that if you're tech-shy you might appreciate the BR-8 package. If you're ambitious and tech-savvy, you might go VS880 or Korg for more long-term flexibility.

My ongoing evaluation of the Boss unit is at
http://br8page.editthispage.com

The BR-8 Manifesto site is extremely informative.

Bon apetit!
RT

Wish,
Thank you for giving us the Riksmusic address. I emailed them this weekend because I'm shopping for a Nemesis bass amp. Their price quote was by far the best I've seen. Also, Erik responded to my request for advice as to how much air is pushed by various configurations in the Nemesis line.
Good folks, it would seem.
RT

Zip disk inexspensive????

I think not. You pay $700.00 for compressed 8-track audio that saves to a zip disk that cost about $15.00 a piece. I dont really know how many songs can fit on one disk but if you write 10 songs, then you already spent $150 on disks alone.

I thought about getting a br-8 a while back cause they seem cool at first, but as a long term recording unit.nope.
I went with an Akai DPS16. I had to sell my Yamaha Banshee for it but Im going to use it for a very long time.

You gotta ask yourself - What are my goals?

john

I'm sure the Akai is righteous, sond. Nonetheless I am happy to say that the prices of 100 mb disks are falling steadily. Best price yet: two weeks ago I paid $5 apiece for Maxells
(in 5-packs) at Office Depot. As more people turn to cdr's the price of 100 mb disks will continue to fall.

My concern is how good of quality do you want to achieve?
Because i think on the BR-8 the music is compressed to fit on the zip disk.

But for what I know of the Boss Recorder its a great unit for quick demo stuff.

sondriven

I would have to go with sondriven on this one. I owned a vs-880ex. It was a great starter deck, but not enough tracks. 16 is the minimum I would recommend. That's why I went with the Akia DPS16 and I love it, although they could have thrown in a few more fx's. It's the best deal out there. The br8 is rolands entry level deck. If all you want is to make demo's, then it might be good enough. If you want to make CD's, it ain't even close. You get what you pay for.

I'm going to throw my one humble opinion on this. I, too, was in the same boat, torn between a BR-8 and the VS-840EX. But then the Tascam 788 came out. Out the door went the other two. My purpose for the recorder is strictly vocals, with occassional live keys, bass, and/or guitar, used with MIDI sequences, in a demo/indie production manner. After having it for just over two months, I have to say that this thing kicks major @$$! If you've got the money, from what info I've been privy to, the DPS16 is a killer. But for budget, or if your near future needs don't call for it, the 788 is the best bet at anywhere near the price. I also purchased the CDR788 for it (I already have a standalone CD recorder, but wanted this for backup). Put up against the Yamaha's CD burner, which doesn't let you edit space between tracks (you have to edit the end of your song), pending the multiple CD writing function (on it's way), it rules.
I have to say that this is one of my favorite pieces of gear. Useful onboard effects (the compressors are more usable that average, just don't expect dbx's even), 24bit uncompressed recording. Awesome machine. You owe it to yourself to check it out.
L8tr!

Back