[SOLVED] Better headphones than the Audio Technica Ath-M50X below 150?

Aysell

I want to buy headphones to mix music below € 150 (I do not need them to record vocals) just to mix and master, I researched a bit and I discovered that the Audio Technica Ath-M50X are one of the best options in that budget, and I have seen many artists like skrillex and avicii using them, but there are many people who say that their sound is not as good as others and that there are headphones with better sound under 150.

Please help.

Welcome to the forum Aysell..........

Now...about your question. Your headphone research probably led you to many recommendations for using open backed headphones for mixing....as opposed to closed back like the ATH M50x. I advise that as well. Try not to confuse the idea that MANY people love the M50x's with the idea that the best headphones for mixing have the same requirements. The M50x's are popular for the opposite reason needed for mixing.........they make most music sound pretty good....pretty much no matter what. Mixing headphones need to be very flat (accurate).....revealing.....and non-coloring as possible. That is NOT the M50x's.

Having said that......it doesn't mean you can't mix in them. It means that you may struggle more than you need to to get your mixes to translate to other sound systems.

If you're going to be doing a lot of mixing and mastering.......my true advice would be......buy some decent monitors (if you don't already have some)........and if you really need to mix in headphones........buy a good pair of open backs like the Sennheiser HD-600. I know that's out of your price range at the moment but saving for them might be better in the long run.

Short of that......I've mixed with the Philips SHP-9500's and they translate very well............as well as the AKG K240's...........both in your price range.....and both are open back.

Last edited:
......I've mixed with the Philips SHP-9500's and they translate very well............as well as the AKG K240's...........both in your price range.....and both are open back.

I'm always a bit worried about durability of wired connections as on the Sennheiser HD-600's, but the Phillips and AKG models you mentioned use removable cables which, IMO, would probably be less susceptible to failure (weight of dangling or stepping on cord/yanking).

Of course, this has nothing to do with their audio quality.. I'd still want the HD-600's for their reputation.

NOTE : I've been using Tascam TH-200X phones for some time now. These have a single wired connection such as the HD-600's and I have accidentally yanked the cord several times and (so far - fingers crossed) have yet to experience a failure in that area. So.. maybe nothing to worry about at all if you just take proper care.

Last edited:
Spantini.......the HD600 has dual wires and the cable is removable. Perhaps you are thinking of a different model.

Spantini.......the HD600 has dual wires and the cable is removable. Perhaps you are thinking of a different model.

Thanks! I was going by a picture I googled which showed what appeared to be dual fixed wires. I found a better pic which had more detail showing the plugs.

Back