Best Portable Multitrack Recorder for My Purposes yo son

Help Help

Hello friends and loved ones,

I am looking to buy a portable multitrack recorder for recording demos and maybe full-fledged recordings(music is the purpose). I have a Tascam US-1800 for computer use and am perfectly satisfied with it. This is just about something portable that has the overall simplicity I find so inspiring and encouraging. I did a bunch of research on things which left me a bit confused, I am unable to try any of these things before buying to find out what's ideal for me, figure there are plenty of knowledgeable people whose opinions would give me some insight. Have gotten great advice and insight on this forum in the past as far as "what to get?" queries, so figured I'd give it another whirl ha.

I don't need all the features in the world, but I am looking for a few key things:
- the ability to multitrack. Record a track, record a second track over top while listening to the first track, and so on etc.
- good preamps with relatively low noise (not super picky or anything though)
- a good quality built-in microphone, particularly for recording acoustic instruments and stuff, sometimes while singing
- xlr and 1/4 inch options (the ability to record more and more tracks is a bonus, but not a necessity)
-24 bit recording capabilities

Those are the main things. I had been set on the Zoom H6, would have already bought it if I hadn't been busy, but then read that its not much for multitrack recording, and you can't record overdubs with the built in microphone. Then I was thinking the Zoom H4n Pro, but am concerned that the on board mics will be of lesser quality than the H6, as the H6 mics are bigger. Perhaps the difference is minor enough, but the onboard mic quality and overall recording quality is the main sticking point for me other than the portable multitrack thing. Was thinking of getting the H5 but unsure about how its mic quality compares with the H6(said to be the same, but there are comparison videos on Youtube that have audible differences) or how the multitrack capabilities compare with the H4n. Been looking at the Tascam DP-006 and DP-008. Would really like to know how the recording quality of these (or even somewhat pricier models) stack up with the Zoom or anything else that might compare. Feel free to recommend any other device that fits my criteria. Quick responses would be greatly appreciated as there's a sale on all these things ending March 4th, on this one website. Thanks so much to anyone that takes the time to respond!!!!

Zoom H6 is a very incredibly good recorder.
The onboard mics are excellent. The Mid/Side mic is outstanding and you can’t get that sound with anything else. I’ve tried...and failed.
AND you can hook up 4 outboard mics.
I love mine.
Thank you kindly Claude

I realize this is a couple of months down the road since this was orginally posted, but have you looked at the Zoom R series multitrack recorders? They can be used as portable field recorders, standalone multitrack units, or as controller/interface units for computer-based recording. The R-8 is limited to only being able to record up to 2 tracks at a time, but the R-16 and R-24 models can record up to 8 tracks at a time, or if linked as in a master/slave configuration, can record up to 16 tracks at a time.
Since all of my songwriting is acoustic based and recorded with minimal instrumentation and vocals, I use the R-8--but have been using one for almost 7 years.

Back