? Behringer Xenyx QX2442USB - any issues ?

garww

I ordered this Behringer Xenyx QX2442USB today and am wondering if there are reasons to cancel the order : )

Been looking from $100 to $250-ish for a couple months. Mostly keyboard mixing. But, I'd be feeling cheated without some routing on the back - so Behringer it is.

Also, be interested in anyone thinks its strong on something. Or, comments on the QX series, too.

nice channel strip, One Knob comp added is great.

USB interface too, very loaded....software? you gone into that yet?
massive software download online that includes Audacity (the most popular open source audio editor), Podifier, Juice, Podnova and Golden Ear (a great selection of podcasting software). You're ready to go live on your PC or Mac right out of the box. You also get more than 100 virtual instruments and 50 FX plug-ins, turning your computer into a complete home-based or mobile recording studio.

Well, it's that glitter thing. I so wanted a soundcraft, etc., but this is the cheapest for direct outs and some buss outs. They say these are something like one big circuit board for the strips, so that sounds fragile to me. Besides the in and out, there's the effects for the synths - maybe on two instruments ?

So, I got 8 MONO and 4 stereo channels - or eight stereo channels for eight of the stereo synths, but who wants a lot of stereo instruments at once ?

USB could be handy for something, as I used the interface last time. I downloaded the VST/i instrument file to see what was in there, but I didn't get it, so thats another day. I think the file with all the PC software is 400+ Mb

Now, I watched a vid today that showed a brand new QX model that would oscillate on the FX all by itself. So, I'm thinking I got a synth for free : ) haa Geez At the top of the channels there's a socket for a Behringer wireless MIC transmitter. I really don't want a circuit like that in there, etc. etc.. If it does what I want, it be cool.

Yes, a little bit of compressor and EQ for synths is big plus (in theory). I hope I can use it. I hope I can reduce its footprint by standing it up !

for synths I have no clue whats needed... line in ..I assume.
the wireless and Klark Teknik DSP FX is free, so why not.
are you replacing the Tascam or adding to it?

Ya, just line level. Stereo can be just Stereo effects in the synth and it can be split sounds bass and lead on L&R etc.. The DSP was part of the desired features - cheesy synths need cheez wiz.

The sweetwater page says its 8 x +48 in the specs, yet in the descriptive text its 10. I hope its only 8 : ) I only have two powered MICS and the Tascam is the only mixer, here, that takes phone plug MICs

well...any update on the new piece?

Even if your computer isn't fully stocked with DAW software and editing apps, you can get rolling by downloading software from Behringer's Web site. Audacity, Podifier, Juice, Podnova and Golden Ear complement the QX2442USB XENYX mixer's recording and podcasting capabilities. These programs, as well as virtual instruments and FX plug-ins, are free for QX2442USB XENYX owners.

Feb 27, 2017
3:58 AM ET
In transitPHOENIX, AZ

They say the 1st, but it could be here tomorrow : ) I hope so, as wed. is Schwans food delivery and my Walmart order . That's way more standing up than I want in any one day.

Ya, I will download that whole software package and rummage through it. When I tried the download last week, there didn't seem to be any registration required - if you want something to play with

QX2442USB | Analog Mixers | Mixers | Behringer | Categories | MUSIC Group

I just snagged the effects zip and it's got some decent stuff. Don't look to be 64-bit though. So, it's undecided if I will bother with it.

Feb 27, 2017
3:58 AM ET
In transitPHOENIX, AZ

They say the 1st, but it could be here tomorrow : ) I hope so, as wed. is Schwans food delivery and my Walmart order . That's way more standing up than I want in any one day.

Ya, I will download that whole software package and rummage through it. When I tried the download last week, there didn't seem to be any registration required - if you want something to play with

QX2442USB | Analog Mixers | Mixers | Behringer | Categories | MUSIC Group

well I was looking around for it, Golden Ears? mastering software...I guess.

its 2qty USB looks good, Ive never used more than 2 except for a failed attempt at live drums.

Well, if I'm doing this fake synth karaoke thing, USB will be quick and dirty - or, out to the Oly

hahaha

Well it seems to work great, 'cept I only get the parameter matrix display for the effects. I don't get the display that says "Reverb". How friggin' cute. I'm only pumping the Akai Rhythm Wolf through it checking channels and I think it and the effects are good. Enough compressor for the Wolf's Bass out and drums out and got good EQ quickly.

I go back to take PICs and I can read the effect, now.. CHURCH....GATED

Hope it stays that way

i wonder what the one knob compressor does? is it attack+ratio or ratio?
the output gain isnt needed ....maybe a 4:1 or 10:1.....something clean for tracking is common unless your smashing it.
right?

thats a lot of stuff to check out to make sure it works...a few days. Klark Teknik FX is interesting.

There's a little unisex graphic by the compressor that depicts the effect - maybe it was decoration ? I dunno. I'm not enough of a wiz to say it's bad. I'm not recording Tiny Tim, or anything. The Wolf is just analog synth and is a far cry from regular Electronic drums and real drums. For the most part, I just need to help a instrument channel a bit for a toob recording.

I guess that is a soft knee

Attachments

• 2442_comp.jpg
    2442_comp.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 232
yeah that makes sense a clean knee, that doesnt make a sound but prevents clipping and dynamic control.
ive had a few clean compressors , you cant hear them, but you can see the waveform on the track is healthy.
i got the Symetirx 628 in, looks great shape and it has a silent compressor too, it can squeeze but not in a good tube way, its more of a engineering get the job done, broadcasting unit. by the time it showed up I forgot why I bought it. lol
the minds a funny thing, its $1100 product if a person spends that its 1100...if you buy it for $149 used it seems different, it seems like a $149 unit...but the build and steel casing and hiquality knobs are there.
clean compressors... one knob could do that.

be interesting to see a waveform as you turn it up. I wonder how they figure the 3:1 or 2:1 or 8:1 ratio?
input vs post compression in db? or dbs?

haha The manual pdf say turn this knob - basically ? That white dot is a red LED and it was easy to function with the Wolfs' drum out, but not the bass out. I need to feel out that Trim knob with the Comp knob a bit more .

The Symetirx 628 looks a hell of a lot more cool than this mixer. at least there are knob hash marks at the MIC gain. hahah

her's a mp3 with me rolling on the knob one chan at a time. The drum never went over 0 in my daw.

Attachments

• 2017-03-01.mp3
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
that sounds more like some of the stuff my sons doing in Fruity Loops and his new Akai MPK.
definately split stereo....probably subwoofer needed to go that low on playback.

I recall having Bob Hodas article comvince to buy two JBL subs and had that with my Monitors....went through a bunch, Mackie HR824, YSM1P, MAUDIO, a few KRK sets....and more...

dual sub woofers he claims is needed, sub freq is stereo capable though some say its mono below80hz or something.
he said if true then put one sub in one corner and the other in another corner and play stereo, if it isnt in the center of the room then its stereo-capable. I could hear the bass, it was locateable to some degree.
one sub was fine too.

the rabbit hole...aha.... my Grace 901 is a tiny bit better than the stock UX8 Headphoneamp, which recommends 250-600 ohm....the whole interface including headphone amp costs $150 these days obsolete....the 901 can get $500 pretty easy, being the original one maybe a little more to the right person, $1800 new with all the digital bells and whistles, but some might prefer the beefier original designed for Bob Ludwig Behtohven.
I never di compare to a Behringer Headphone Amp-DAC....those might be focused a little better than most interface headphone amps that companies dont even discuss in their manual...lol

I've got the X2442USB Xenyx mixer. I've had it for about 3 years now. I really like the 8 direct outs for recording as it works great for recording 8 individual tracks at once, like drums. There are also a multitude of patches on the back of the mixer that are really nice. I use one of the stereo inputs for my stereo keyboards through SP-DIF from another computer and another for listening to the recorded tracks coming from my DAW. While I don't use the USB that much, I do have it connected so I can record and play tracks from the other computer (I have a two computer system). Looking at the QX2442USB Xenyx, I don't see much difference in it and the X2442USB Xenyx, except for the wireless mic addition. What's so special about it, over the X2442USB Xenyx? I do see that it's about $50 more expensive. Is this just the updated version of the X2442USB Xenyx?

Well, it's that glitter thing. I so wanted a soundcraft, etc., but this is the cheapest for direct outs and some buss outs. They say these are something like one big circuit board for the strips, so that sounds fragile to me. Besides the in and out, there's the effects for the synths - maybe on two instruments ?

So, I got 8 MONO and 4 stereo channels - or eight stereo channels for eight of the stereo synths, but who wants a lot of stereo instruments at once ?

USB could be handy for something, as I used the interface last time. I downloaded the VST/i instrument file to see what was in there, but I didn't get it, so thats another day. I think the file with all the PC software is 400+ Mb

Now, I watched a vid today that showed a brand new QX model that would oscillate on the FX all by itself. So, I'm thinking I got a synth for free : ) haa Geez At the top of the channels there's a socket for a Behringer wireless MIC transmitter. I really don't want a circuit like that in there, etc. etc.. If it does what I want, it be cool.

Yes, a little bit of compressor and EQ for synths is big plus (in theory). I hope I can use it. I hope I can reduce its footprint by standing it up !
My X2442USB Xenyx came with rack mount rails, so I'd guess the QX2442USB Xenyx would, too. That would be one way to lessen the footprint. And the one knob compressor is just a little added nice feature for a little bit of compression...nothing too fancy.

Back