Behringer UMC202HD power requirements?

fwrunner2017

Hi;
I am getting a lot of clipping on the mic/line input of the Behringer UMC202HD. I have read that this is pretty much normal operation for these inexpensive AI.
The problems is worst for signals coming into the mic/line inputs (via the "Midas designed" preamps).

This unit draws its power from the computer's USB port, so I started thinking that perhaps it is overdriving the USB power source in my PC.
I believe that USB current is limited to 500mA. When I check in Windows 7 Device Manager under USB Controllers, I see that the UMC202HD is requesting 500mA. But that doesn't mean it is actually drawing that much current. Somehow I find it difficult to believe that a modern audio interface would draw that much current.
So I have ordered a little USB dongle to measure the actual current being drawn by the UMC202HD.
In the mean time, I am trying to re-distribute the USB power from my PC to the devices consuming it.
By plugging the UMC202HD into a USB port that is on a (internal) hub that isn't supplying much power to anything else, I may be able to give the UMC202HD a better chance of actually getting the 500mA it is asking for. My intuition tells me that moving the UMC202HD to another (less loaded) USB port will not reduce the clipping, as this is an inherent problem with this type of AI.

In addition, I ordered a USB Y cable so that I can power the UMC202HD from an external 5V power supply. I seem to have accumulated a few of these; one that is good for 700mA, and one that boasts 2A output!

Does anyone else have this issue with the UMC202HD or any other AI, and if so, have you found a solution (besides reducing the input signal)

Thanks

FW

I am experiencing the same problem, ever since moving our broadcasts to a part of the.building with AC (power?). Did the Y cable and power supply help you solve this?

The exact same setup has no problems at all from my home... or other parts of the.building where we do our.broadcasts.

Thanks for any insight.

I am experiencing the same problem, ever since moving our broadcasts to a part of the.building with AC (power?). Did the Y cable and power supply help you solve this?

The exact same setup has no problems at all from my home... or other parts of the.building where we do our.broadcasts.

Thanks for any insight.

This has my interest because I had a 204HD, breifly, gave it to son in France but I never got around to using the line inputs, just mic but I did yodel into an LDC, the Sontronics STC-2 without problems.

Now, 'bus' powered USB interfaces often get a bad press but the 'ultimate' surely has to be my Native Instruments KA6? Two mic/line in (v quiet) two more fixed gain line ins, four jack outputs, MIDI and S/PDIF and, AFAIK you can run all that at once though I have never tried it. I HAVE however measured the USB current pull and it was around 480mA iirc and 4.8V. I doubt that wee Berry pulls half that.

I have not read of the line inputs having poor headroom, will check the specc' but headroom has little to do with CURRENT draw since the supply rails have to be DC-DC upconverted anyway. If we assume a 12 0 12 volt rail that gives over 100mA of current and that runs a LOT of op amps!

Dave.

Well the specc shows a very respectable +20dBu for the LINE input but a pretty feeble Instrument figure of only 1/2 volt, is it possible the line jack is TS and switching to Instru input?

I think I shall have to get one again for the craic!

Dave.

Attachments

• umc speccs.png
    umc speccs.png
    280.8 KB · Views: 27
Back