Behringer or Steinberg audio interface?

Airlane

Hi
I want to record at home just me on keyboards and elec guitar through a multi-FX, no mics. This is just for my own pleasure as a hobby and no-one is likely to even hear the results, let alone participate in my music-making. I've a Win 10 laptop with no DAW yet, Yamaha MX49 synth with its own USB interface (no Cubase AI as I bought it used), all sent through a Behringer mixer which sounds fine.

I need a USB interface and a simple DAW. I have little cash. Options:
  1. Steinberg UR22 mkII 2x2 with free Cubase AI which the Yamaha synth is designed to interface with - about £100; or
  2. Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD 2x2 with free Tracktion 6 or something similar, about £55.

Recommendation?

Hi
I want to record at home just me on keyboards and elec guitar through a multi-FX, no mics. This is just for my own pleasure as a hobby and no-one is likely to even hear the results, let alone participate in my music-making. I've a Win 10 laptop with no DAW yet, Yamaha MX49 synth with its own USB interface (no Cubase AI as I bought it used), all sent through a Behringer mixer which sounds fine.

I need a USB interface and a simple DAW. I have little cash. Options:
  1. Steinberg UR22 mkII 2x2 with free Cubase AI which the Yamaha synth is designed to interface with - about £100; or
  2. Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD 2x2 with free Tracktion 6 or something similar, about £55.

Recommendation?

For me? No brainer. The UR22 comes with Cubase and has MIDI ports. The Berry comes with neither.

The MX49 has MIDI ports. You will kick yourself in the future if you don't have that capability on your AI. There is no better DAW for MIDI work than Cubase. I have a free version of Traktion, bloody awful.

The UR22 got a very good rep when it came out (SoS) and has been a 'sleeper' ever since in that I have never read a word against it. I keep looking for a cheap one at Cash Gens!

Dave.

Back