Behringer 802 mixer preamps?

Steakfry

All I am wondering is if this mixer causes a lot of background noise due to the preamps bulit in. How would I minimize this or is the mixer itself just poor quality?

I'm sure we could find a noisy Behringer. They made different models as a marketing upgrade path. I have a 1002FX from the xenyx series. It's quite enough for the price, but I could see big problems with it not having a on/off switch. I can almost guarantee noise or failure if it is left on all the time

preamps arent generally noisy these days, if you crank them up to max you hear the waterfall white noise-ish....sound...

for me I found getting a mic that has 14mv sensitivity(volume) allows the preamps to sit around 12oclock.
low sens mics like SM7 and RE20 require the more gain and this often leads to the mic pre at full volume= noisy.

Ive never had that mixer so, just in general. SM58 is 1.85mv sensitivitym SM7 1.2mV, KSM27 14.1mv sens, KSM44 28.2, Neumann U87 8mv cardiod....AKG414 12.5mvs...

How to read microphone specifications

I wouldn't say my xenyx FX is quiet, but I got good level with the Apex 205 when it arrived. With a LDC, it's been quite enough for a USD 80-90 box of parts

Last edited:
I have an old Eurorack MX802A (not Xenyx) I got used back in 2002 (user manual dated 2001). Don't know how long these were in production. It gets used mostly for mixing line level gear and occasionally for a condenser mic. Fairly quiet with a condenser mic that doesn't need a bunch of gain. I think if I tried a dynamic that needed some extra gain the mixer preamps might push up some noise. As a utility sort of mixer it's OK.
I also have a Behringer USB mixer from the more recent Xenyx series and is quiet even with a dynamic mic such as an SM57 or similar plugged into it.

Steakfry, what mics are you plugging into the MX802 (condenser or dynamic) and to what are you connecting the output of the MX802 into? Not setting gains and levels properly might get some noise going.

Steakfry, what mics are you plugging into the MX802 (condenser or dynamic) and to what are you connecting the output of the MX802 into? Not setting gains and levels properly might get some noise going.

an mxl 991 condenser instrument mic and i also use a Nady starpower sp-1 ($10 mic) and i use an analog to digital converter, audio genie 2 by American audio

I dunno. I paid extra for the FX noise section : ) hahah

Can you check self-noise with just headphones ? Then add a cable, then cable and MIC.

Back