which bass cabinet

Rusty K

Hey,

I'm about ready to finish an equipment upgrade. I just purchased an Ashdown ABM500 HD and I've been using it with an SWR Workingman 4x10, one of my cabinets from my old rig. It sounds fine but I'm sure my Ashdown would sound great through most anything. I've blow a couple of tweeters in the Workingman over the years and I've heard that some of the 4x10 cabinets do a good job of limiting the signal to the tweeters. Whether that's true or not I'd like to find the best 4x10 fit for my Ashdown.

I've had great results with 10" speakers so I'm comfortable with staying with that format. I love the Ampeg SVT 8x10 but I don't want to haul that much cabinet around to mid-sized clubs. I'm thinking of going with the Ampeg SVT 4x10....

I'd appreciate help deciding.

Thanks,
Rusty K

Damn! ez_willis there you go throwing doubt on my mind set!

Down in this neck of the woods for years we've played a cabinet called a Dietz Box locally made with an Electrovoice 15" in it. They were the gold standard cabinet with whatever power you used. I got complaints about having too much midrange the 15 yrs. I played through mine. Maybe it was my eqing and attack style (hard to believe with fingers) but I've always gotten plenty of bottom with the 10s.

Could you elaborate more on the cabinet you suggest?

Thanks,
Rusty K

Rusty K said:
Damn! ez_willis there you go throwing doubt on my mind set!

Down in this neck of the woods for years we've played a cabinet called a Dietz Box locally made with an Electrovoice 15" in it. They were the gold standard cabinet with whatever power you used. I got complaints about having too much midrange the 15 yrs. I played through mine. Maybe it was my eqing and attack style (hard to believe with fingers) but I've always gotten plenty of bottom with the 10s.

Could you elaborate more on the cabinet you suggest?

Thanks,
Rusty K

I played with an Ampeg 1-15" & 1-18" cabinet for years and got a killer tone.

A 4-10" is a great cabinet as well, thought I'd just throw some idea's at you.

What kind of bass are you using and what style of music?

ez_willis,

Hey check my age to the right! Roots music not that loud but energetic and thumping...."Land Of A Thousand Dances", "Cold Shot", "Devil With A Blue Dress" etc..

I play a Fender American Zone Bass (Active). If I had it to do over I would not get the active pickups but it sounds warm and full. Redundant eqing. I tried an 18" with a 4x10" cab with my old SWR900 but I just couldn't get control of that 18". Maybe it was that particular cab (Big Ben)....it just never seemed "tight".

Rusty K

PS Funny...my band has a great singer who has also done some standup comedy. He starts a rock n roll medley with..."Now ladies and gentlemen, We'd like to take you back to the good old days. Back when only indians had mohawks...back when only old ladies had blue hair...and back before Willis knew what he was talking about".

Find the nearest place you can audition some higher-end gear such as Bergantino and Euphonic Audio. A bergantino 2-10" will give most 4-10's a run for their money. A pair of them would be sick. EA makes incredible gear as well.

If one of these does not sound the way you want it to (maybe the mids are scooped too much for your style), try some different size speakers - particularly 12". I have a pair of Bergantino 1-12's and they are excellent. EA makes 12's as well. They would suit the music you describe.

Rusty K said:
my old SWR900 but I just couldn't get control of that 18". Maybe it was that particular cab (Big Ben)....it just never seemed "tight".

I could see that being true.

I was playing hard rock with 2 guitarists, one playing a Les Paul through a Marshall and the other playing a variety of guits and amps, all loud. Here's an example.

The Ampeg PR-410HLF is a great cabinet.

leddy,

I've surfed the models you mentioned. They look really nice so I called my local Bass Emporium to check out what they had. They didn't have Euphonics in stock but they did have the Bergantino. I may go by and give a listen but they're running a promotion for cardholders at Guitar Center that I'd like to take advantage of. Unfortunately they don't handle these high end brands...damn. I may have to be practical.

They also mentioned Sadowsky 4x10" (an off-shoot of Bergantino) $900.

ez_willis,

Speaking of practical. The Ampeg PR 410HLF is the bigger pro model right? Isn't that model rated at more watts than the SVT? I told the guy at Bass Emporium that I had blown a couple of tweeters in my Workingman cabs and he said more than likely it was because they were underpowered. I was using an SWR900 but only one side/400watts for one cab. I liked the SVT 410 because of the "dolly" design just like the 810 SVT. I know that has nothing to do with sound but at my age anything that makes the job easier is a plus. The suggestions that leddy made would certainly be easier to muscle around as well....what to do?

Rusty K

Back