Avalon 737 into a VS1880.....am i getting the true avalon sound?

Phosphene

Horse Diaper
people are telling me that i need another A/D convertor to go from my avalon into my roland vs 1880. ROLAND tells me that as long as i have my mic gain down to line level, that it doesnt matter what input i go into, that it will sound like the avalon (no 1880 pre coloration or alteration)....

please offer opinions, solutions, etc...

jeremiah

I use an Avalon AD2022 into a Roland VS1824CD regularly, and it's not real bad. The Roland tech people are right about having the line levels on the VS all the way down. That pretty much keeps the pres in the Roland from mucking up the Avalon.
As far as the A-D conversion, they're only half right. The A-D convertor in my 1824 is actually pretty good. Note- I said "pretty good", not "great". There is no doubt that you can get better sound by using an outboard A-D convertor, bypassing the Roland's pres and its A-D convertor, using S/PDIF or optical in.
Now the bad news. A cheap A-D convertor will not be any better than the one in the Roland, which, as I said, is not too bad. A better A-D convertor will most likely set you back over a grand. Suck it up.-Richie

I take it back. The Lucid's only $800, and will make a huge difference. In one neat shot, you bypass the VS Studio's pres, and it's A-D convertor.-Richie

Back