API A2D SPDIF out --> M-Audio Fast Track Ultra SPDIF in, no sound

Seventh Arrow

Hello all,

I'm trying to record via the SPDIF input on my Fast Track Ultra but getting nowhere fast. Here's the setup:

• Microphone connected via XLR port on a API A2D preamp
  • SPDIF out on A2D preamp connected to SPDIF input on Fast Track Ultra
  • Connectors in the software are set to digital, as below:

8Ff8yDB.jpg

The driver is set up as follows:

uMiE9iP.jpg

All the levels are up:

tdlHTlC.jpg

When I tap the microphones, I can see the LEDs on the preamp light up, but nothing happens in the program (Cubase). I suppose it could be the SPDIF cable, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything else before running back to the music store. Any suggestions?

Make sure you try both sides (in7 & in8 on your setup) make sure you have selected Spdif in Cubase on the channel input.

You might have to connect the entire loop, 2nd cable connecting Spdif input on API to M-Audio Output, if there is one.

Thank you, PDP. I did try the first suggestions. As for the second cable, I don't believe the API has a SPDIF in, but I'll double check. Hopefully it's not the cable, no one in Toronto seems to have one readily available. If worse comes to worst, I might try back at the music store for an ART preamp for rent and swap it out with the API.

I'm pretty sure a regular RCA cable will work.

Last thought, make sure all your sample rates are set for the same value. Make sure the API doesn't have a locked sample rate and the m-audio is set different.

Hope it works out for you, I use the Spidf from my SSL preamp to an M-audio PCI card. It does sound really good.

I'm pretty sure a regular RCA cable will work.

Whaaaaaaat? Mind blown. I think I'll test that now...it really seems like it's something between points A and B.

Last thought, make sure all your sample rates are set for the same value. Make sure the API doesn't have a locked sample rate and the m-audio is set different.

Yes, they're both set to 48...thanks for that, good thinking.

Whaaaaaaat? Mind blown. I think I'll test that now...it really seems like it's something between points A and B.

Yes, they're both set to 48...thanks for that, good thinking.

Yes, a standard RCA cable will work.

I have never had issue with digital input to Cubase, though I do not have the gear you have. Keep plugging away at it. Likely a simple button click...

Not sure why you would want your clock source to be spdif if only using the API as a preamp. They shouldn't need to be synced. Possibly change that setting. Possible the driver is expecting a clock source and not digital audio.

Thanks for your help guys.

I've made a bit of progress. Following up on PDP's advice, I tried it out with a plain ol' RCA cable and the driver, at the very least, recognizes some sort of signal:

SMoBVBr.jpg

That's me tapping on the microphones. However, I still don't hear anything and when I start Cubase up, the hardware input meters become completely inert. I'm still going to chip away at it, but I hope it's not because the ProTools guys make the newer M-Audio drivers and they just don't play nice with Cubase or something.

Ok, I got it working! Took a few restarts, though.

So for whatever reason, these are apparently the ideal settings:

bX4GUyd.jpg

I saved these settings as a preset so hopefully I can fire it up at the recording session on Tuesday and not embarrass myself. Thanks again, guys!

Back