An antidote for GAS?

jeffree

Hey, all. I realize that this post might not fit cleanly in Other Equipment and Reviews, but it does fit in a way. Like many of us, I've been bitten by Gear Acquisition Syndrome in recent years and seem to spend more time than I'd like researching (and dreaming of) the new gear I need to record my music. That's why I visit this forum so regularly. But some of the wisest folks here, from time to time, remind me and others that we need to focus more on the music itself and less on our never-ending desire to buy more and better stuff to improve our work. I hear them, I believe them, yet it's easy to forget their point since buying new stuff is so damned fun and easy.

Every once in a while (rarer for me as I get older), a piece of music shakes me up and makes me re-think my approach to my music. I offer this post as evidence and would be glad to hear if anyone else has been shaken in similar ways recently--and by whom.

Any Pat Metheney fans out there? It's been a long while since I bought a new CD, Metheny or otherwise, and then devoured it non-stop during the next few days. The new Pat Metheney Group effort, "The Way Up," has really kicked my butt this week... one moment I feel inspired, the next depressed. I hope you can catch my relevant point here.

Even just at the local music shop, but much better at home through your own monitoring system, try giving the first 5 minutes of this CD a careful listen. The pristine recording, the warmth brought to the digital domain, the performance skill, and the writing itself--shit, the writing!--make me realize that this is one of those rare CDs that will take weeks and months to fully understand. The CD uses the classical approach--four parts of interrelated music, three of them (movements) about 20 minutes long. Some elements are indeed classical in nature, but there's plenty of jazz and rock and fusion and acoustic and a lot more. Simply Stunning Stuff in my humble opinion.

While listening, I'm reminded of what's possible in my own recording, which inspires me to push myself. And sometimes depressed (overwhelmed) because I realize how much I have to learn and so little time. I suppose one of the biggest reminders for me is how easy it is to focus on new equipment rather than what makes most recordings this special: the music and performance by brilliant musicians and composers, with a heavy dose of the "musical vision" thing. I need this reminder from time to time. I need to spend less time researching my next gear purchase and more time writing and performing if I ever hope to achieve something close to my musical dreams.

So whether you know or like Metheney's past efforts or not, I'd encourage you to give the first 5 minutes of this new CD a chance. With repeated listenings, you might start to realize, as I did, that there's so much good going on here. The first 5 minutes introduce key themes of the CD, and the rest of the CD develops them in new and interesting ways, with some incredible recording techniques along the way. But the first 5 minutes initially sold me in my local store, leaving my jaw on the floor and the new CD in my pocket as I headed home.

I'd be happy to hear anyone's opinion of this CD--or of other new CDs that have affected you in similar ways. I love this feeling, and I hadn't had it for a while until I found this puppy. Highly recommended as a GAS thought- provoker, above all, but also as a learning tool, with some potential inspiration and depression there, depending on your tastes and mood.

Best,

J.

jeffree said:
if anyone else has been shaken in similar ways recently--and by whom
The LCD Soundsystem double CD has been in my player constantly for the last month. It takes technoid hiphop dance to a new level, and seems to do it quite effortlessly and without ever looking down...

The only antidote for GAS is discipline. Throw away those catalogs and remove online music stores from your list of bookmarks. Then lock yourself in a room and chant "I will not buy more gear" 100 times! :D

MadAudio said:
The only antidote for GAS is discipline. Throw away those catalogs and remove online music stores from your list of bookmarks. Then lock yourself in a room and chant "I will not buy more gear" 100 times! :D

That's right, folks. The anti-GAS mantra is the only thing scientifically proven (in 7 independent studies) to cure you of this affliction. :p

I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear I will not buy more gear

Now...don't you feel better. I know I do! :D

One cure is to get the $$ and buy the great stuff you want. GAS then goes away. Then there's every reason to spend your time with the music using great gear.

Last edited:
Summer vacation needs to be here already.... I have a fever, and the only cures are the sweet recording sessions we're going to have this summer, and, of course, more cowbell.

MORE COWBELL!!! yes

I also realized a danger in the way you started this thread. Sometimes it's not another band's music. Sometimes it's a sweet juicy piece of new gear. Remember the time you got your first Pod/VAmp/multi-gizmo of your choice? That new synth? That new guitar, even though you already have 5? First drum machine? The list goes on.

OK, time for me to throw out some old catalogs.

GAS relief

LOF - Lack of Funds
TOBSJMSFBG - Tired of buying stupid junk must save for better gear. (Which is actually a more focused and useful form of GAS)

I'm sitting here laughing like an idiot. Thanks, I needed that. But I'm also writing down those names of other CD-antidotes mentioned. Keep 'em coming.

J.

WHTD - Wife has threatened divorce
TKIB -Three kids in braces
CIAPOS- Car is a piece of shit

Best cures I can think of...

AND I'M STILL BUYING!!!!

MWUUUHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHE :mad: :confused: :D

It is a sickness, but all who have managed to find this place seem to accept it as a given, and will try to only incite it when we find a REALLY GOOD DEAL, AND AMS WILL EVEN PRICE-MATCH IT!! kinda thing. :D

i tried to do what i could with what i had when i got here....now after buying what i need to do want, I want more and file it under a need.

G.A.S. never ends, just accept that. You can fight it, you can try to reason with it, and you can ignore it (for a while). But in the end it always comes back.

Back