amplifiers

larrye

Please give me some advice on what type of amp to connect my "line out" out of my computer soundcard to. At this time I have it going into a line-in on my stereo receiver. This works ok, but my kid wants to take it to college with her. What do I replace it with? Do stereo receivers change the sound when used to drive monitors? I don't need the FM of a receiver, so what kind of amp should I buy?

Yo Larrye: [is that Lar on rye?]

You might want to take a look at the Yamaha AX 592 integrated amplifier.

I use one in my studio and the Yam has: plugs for two sets of speakers, turn one on or two on or both off; it has plugs for two tape decks with recording either way or to either one for a mix down; it has an AUX plug for a DAT or whatever, am/fm plug, phono plug....plenty for whatever you need to do. It also has a "pure through" switch which will block any amp coloration if you so desire. All in all, it's a pretty good amp with a low level white noise. And, your daught won't want to take this one away because it has no radio in it. You can get literature from Yamaha from their site or a hi/fi dealer. For the money, it's a pretty decent product.

Merry Christmas [forgot to mention the amp also has a CD buss plug.]

Green Hornet

Thanks for your reply Green Hornet! I will check out the Yamaha. I need monitors, and was thinking about just powered ones but I like the versitality the Yamaha would give me.

Back