Allen & Heath or Soundcraft Ghost or??

fldrummer

Are heath Allenworth the maony compared to something like a ghost? I've been thinking of starting a high end studio(not neve/ssl high end) and was thinking about the a & h. I'm not sure tho. What would you suggest for maybe 3 to 15 thousand dollars for a board? maybe more if really makes a diff but I think their are some good board for under 15k.

I have a ghost and I am completely happy with it. In my opinion it is the best board in the ~$7K (32 ch, midi mute automation) price range. Each channel is its own individual circuit card so repair (if a channel goes down) does not take the board down completely; simply pull the bad channel and send for repair.

As much as I like my ghost, I would not say it is a commercial studio board. I'd be looking at getting a large frame console with some type of recall for a commercial studio. However, you will need to budget a lot more cash for that.

You may want to PM Recording Engineer; I think he posted a link to a large format desk that was not outrageously expensive.

Not really sure about the A & H. I think they are more suited as a front of house board.

I have a 32ch non-midi board, bought 2nd hand for €2,400 in perfect condition.

I'm coming from a €240 board (don't mention the B-word ... :rolleyes: ) into a €2,400 board... my guess is if I ever wanna improve the mixing desk it's gonna be x10 again :eek: :eek: :eek: (lot's of other stuff to improve before that'll happen)

I'm not fond of lower end digital boards because of the sound. True, a non-automated board is harder to work with (recall songs), but in my opinion sound is more important than ease-of-work, and there's solutions to every problem (mine is taking digital pictures of the settings, works quite fast - 5-10minutes of recall)

Members in the same leage: Ghost, Midas Venice (and they're compact!), A&H (don't know these personally), or any higher end 2nd hand console... 15k is already a lot of money, but maybe it's better spent elsewhere, don't know your setup.

Herwig

fldrummer said:
Are heath Allenworth the maony compared to something like a ghost? I've been thinking of starting a high end studio(not neve/ssl high end) and was thinking about the a & h. I'm not sure tho. What would you suggest for maybe 3 to 15 thousand dollars for a board? maybe more if really makes a diff but I think their are some good board for under 15k.

I just upgraded from a Mackie 8 buss board to the A&H GL2200 32 4 buss. The difference in sound is totally night and day. I have been on the Mackie for 6 years. The A&H has better pres, better summing bus amps,better EQs and is way cleaner and punchier. It really reminds me of some large format consoles I have worked with. The Mackie has more routing options, but the A&H blows it away in the sound department easily.

I got a 1990 A&H Saber 24/16/16/2 from eBay just before christmas for £360 ($700) w/ meterbridge because it was in a remote area of Scotland and the guy wouldn't ship.

I spent another £60 on van hire and fuel and had it fully serviced for £212

Total £632! ($1200??)

It's a dream desk. The pres are great, better than any mackie or souncraft. The EQ is warm and punchy. All Alps pots and 100mm Faders. Stacks of routing options. I'm still drooling on it as I type.

I've previously owned the GS3 and my first board the GS1. All great mixers packed with features and that lovely warm british EQ.

here she is...
Image001.jpg

Alec.

I like those Midas Venice boards. One drawback for studio work is that they are only four buss. Wish they would come out with an eight buss version. Also, two of the sends are pre fader only, and I believe a factory mod has to be done to switch those two sends to post faders. Also, two sends are permanently post faders and two can be switched pre or post. Overall, it's a great little board.

It looks like A & H is the way to go. I always thought of Midas as live boards. I'll look into that Venice.

Lemon, quit drooling on the board LOL .

uh A&H are live boards too (GL) GS is recording consols.

I need a good board too:(

Tonio said:
Lemon, quit drooling on the board LOL .

uh A&H are live boards too (GL) GS is recording consols.

I need a good board too:(

I bought the GL 2200 32 channel. It is billed as a live board. However, I have yet to find a better studio board for the $$$. This thing is right up there with some large format consoles I have worked on in pro studios (as far as sound). The Pres, EQ and summing buss amplifiers are first rate. A definate value.

Back