Allen & Heath....or something else?

sjaguar13

My Mackie is junk. It is a 32 channel 8 bus analog, but nothing works on it anymore and to fix it, I have to spend $2500. I'm looking to just replace it. I just got back from a show my brother played, and I talked to the sound guy there. He was using a SoundTracs 24 channel board. He said for live rock bands, get a Behringer because rock bands will break stuff. I think he has a point. For recording, he said Allen & Heath. I'm looking to do live sound and record. I really never needed 32 channels, but I like to know I have them incase the need for them arises. I do mostly rock, metal, and punk. Should I just get a 16 channel Behringer? For recording, I use the Aardvark Q10. It has 8 inputs, so the last couple of times I needed it, I didn't need a mixer. What's a good studio board, and should I worry about 40/32/24 channels?

Before you get pummeled with behringer hatred, I think you need to organize your needs and wants list. Get something that will meet your needs and that you are comfortable using.

Depends on your price range. Instead of spending $2500 to repair your mackie, you should just take a plunge and buy a used Ghost for $3000 (that's what I've heard them quoted at on the board). People have no ends to saying how great these consoles are.

EDIT: It's a big one, though, so I don't know if you'd want on that size... Maybe check out the A/H Mixwizard 14:4:2 (4 buss, 6 aux sends).

After looking for a new board, he's what I'm thinking, Allen & Heath 24 channel studio board, and Soundcraft Spirit 16 channel live board. Any problems with that?

I found out the Allen & Heath mixer I was looking at is old and discontinued. It is from 1991. It's an SR-424 Plus. Is it worth getting?

How about a Carvin? I asked this before, but only one guy ever answered. I would like to get other opinions. I have a friend who swears by them, but he is a one-band band and doesn't need anything with more than 1 channel. The only thing I ever used was my Mackie. I don't want another one. I'm so confused. I think the three I want is SoundCraft, Carvin, and Allen & Heath, but I don't know enough about each one of their models.

The reason no one answered is because they thought you were joking about Carvin.

*ducks flying shoes*

Seriously, if you didn't like the Mackie you'll hate Carvin.

:) Foreget Carvin!! Allen-heath make very good quality boards!!
Audition the 2200 series or the 3000 series at your pro sound/music shop.
I have and old 416sr from allen-heath-bradley, also at church I use the 2200 24 input A-H. Both are very musical in quality!!

da MUTT

For live sound bad pre's = feedback- Id forget the Behri- nice equipment makes your job easier- right? Decide how much thats worth to you

Back