ALESIS MultiMix Mixers

DREAMLABS

I could've put this in the Alesis Forum, but opted to place it here for more general responses. My question is, are ANY of you using any of the Alesis MultiMix series of mixers or do you know of anyone who is or has used them? I'm a Mackie fan and a Yamaha fan myself and was sort of curious about the performance of an Alesis. I'd appreciate any feedback on the quality of these mixers, especially their pre-amps and faders.

Thanks alot dudes! :D

Alesis are no newcomers to the mixing board world. Their black plastic mixer from the late '80's (the model number escapes me) was ugly and creaked when you moved a fader but was razor flat from 20Hz to 20kHz. I owned a 24 channel Alesis mixer which I considered to be the equal of the equivalent Mackie and way better than what Yamaha was offering at the time.

As far as the MultiMix's go, it's a great idea to offer USB or Firewire connections out of the two-mix of a small format mixer. The potential handicap of being able to record only the stereo mix via USB/Firewire will I'm sure be offset by clever people with spare analog ins on their sound card taking individual channels out of the direct outs. There are sure to be more of these brought to market by the end of this year but I have yet to hear the Alesis ones. The only problem I could possibly see is the preamps being just plain too noisy to stand, and I can't imagine that this would be the case...

Does anybody know anything about the audio quality of the converters in the Firewire line of mixers? I'm considering to sell my Behringer UB1204-PRO, and get the Alesis Multimix Firewire 8, having the same inputs, and a built-in firewire interface to replace my Creative SBLive Platinum for recording.

Does anyone have experience with these mixers?

Stan.

Stan,

I'm exactly in the same camp on these - i've been posting here for quite a while, and i'm still searching for a review, or more to the point, a ship date. I've got an Audigy Platinum that I'm also lookin' to nix in favor of the MultiMix 8 Firewire ...

Maybe we'll get lucky?

-Erik

Don't those mixers only receive one stereo channel from your DAW though? Wouldn't it be impossible then to set up seperate monitor mixes for playback?

I don't think I understand the Q, earthboundrec...
I now use the SBLive Platinum and I only use one stereo output to my HiFi receiver into either the JBL TLX 121 or the JBL Control 1 monitors, or into my headphones during tracking. I can select which channels should be heard on the headphones/monitors any time using my software. I've got not problem using just one stereo output?

And back the original Q of this thread, I saw germal dealers already listing it for just 199 euro!! I think I'm going to sell my Behringer UB1204PRO and get the Multimix 8, so I'll have the same ins/outs but also an Audio interface.

Or would something like an M-Audio 1010LT be a better choice for the money?

Stan.

the only prob with these for some folks is that they probably use a lot of RAM on the comp

I don't really have to worry but some folks might

stanjanssen said:
I don't think I understand the Q, earthboundrec...
I now use the SBLive Platinum and I only use one stereo output to my HiFi receiver into either the JBL TLX 121 or the JBL Control 1 monitors, or into my headphones during tracking. I can select which channels should be heard on the headphones/monitors any time using my software. I've got not problem using just one stereo output?

I like to give each person in the recording session a seperate stereo mix so they can get any levels adjusted that they want. I was for awhile looking into the Mackie Onyx mixers, but they only recieve one stereo channel back from the DAW so you can't really give seperate monitor mixes. It'd be fine if you're just recording one person at a time or just doing your own material, but my experiences so far in the studio have been that about 60% of musicians are real particular about their monitor mix while the other 40% don't really care what they have in their cans.

Back