Alesis HD24 or Fostex 2424LV

lakeland96

Any opinions out there about the Alesis HD24 or Fostex 2424LV? I'm going to buy one or the other for live recording and can get comparable prices. Speak to me people!!!

=)

chris

MISTERQCUE said:
HD24!

Nuff said!

Not quite. I have had the Fostex D1624 and now the D2424LV. Both units are as solid as mother earth. In 4 years, I have never had so much as a burp out of either. The D2424LV is the best sounding, easiest to use multi-tracker going. I use Cakewalk 9 with MTC chase exclusively and the Fostex has never crashed ever. Fostex is also the only system (that I know of, this MAY have changed by now) that does not require de-fragmenting of the drive. This is something that slows down most all of the other systems. The D2424LV is dead-ass solid.

Granted it's not all that old (I've had it since it was first available.) but I can pretty much say the same for the HD24. And it doesn't require defragging either.

I saw a post by a a Mastering Engineer named Ronny Morris who said the Fostex is the most stable when he compared the Alesis and Mackie. I tent to trust Ronny.

I believe the Fostex does 24/96 with full track count where the HD24 drops back the track count to get full 96Khz sample rate. If your sticking to 24bit/48Khz then no biggie. IMO

SoMm

True.

Also, I saw a post by a master engineer by the name of Roger Nichols who praised the HD24 converters and just about everything else about it... I tend to trust Roger.

I read the same thing R.E. It was on Roger's forum where he talked highly of the HD24's converters. That's what pushed me over the edge to buy one. I've never had any problem with mine ever.

Thanks to all who responded. It sounds like the general consensus is that both units are quality products and both very reliable. Though there tends to be more positive feedback for the Alesis. I shall buy one this week.

Alesis should pay you all commission.

out
chris

Back