advice on expanding a scarlett 8i6 usb interface

theonebilal

Hi,
I have a small bedroom recording set up, based around my scarlett 8i6 audio interface and 2.4gh Acer laptop. Ive recorded several tracks with some musicians i play with, keyboards and acoustic guitar miked up, as well as vocals. Recently ive been thinking about expanding to having more microphones (than two), but have been obstructed by the number of inputs on my interface. It has 2 xlr/trs combos with mic pres that do the job perfectly, but there are only two of them.... it also has 2 line inputs with trs jacks, which i have considered sending the mics to then realised these would be needed for guitar and bass. So to spdif. In essence my questions are- is there spdif compatible mic pres solution, which would allow 2 more 96khz xlr inputs (as i understand it) for a tight budget- as small as possible with quality comparable to the focusrite pres. Or am i waisting my time and should i just accept that i need to get a mixer and sacrifice individual channel control in cubase, and simply plug the lineouts into the scarlett? and if so are there any recommended cheap mixers with fairly decent quality and at least 4 xlr inputs?
answers are much appreciated
bilal

spdif only does 2channels @ 48k max.

You can get a relatively cheap Art DPS II that is not bad for the price.

The best solution, of course, would be to sell the scarlett and get an interface with more i/o.

Back