Adam, Genelec, Mackie, KRK

norm14

HI
I looking for Monitor for my first home-project stuido. I found it very hard to make a decision for me. could you please suggest me. or compare them for me.

I really want to use Adam P11 but the price is too high for me. and I interested in Genelec1029, Mackie HR624, HR824, KRK v8 as well

well, If you guys have other suggestion please tell me. I have budget around 1400 usd. If you were me what would you like to get for your studio?

thanks

Well, I have HR824's, and I love them. The only issue I have with them is their slow transient response. You have to learn to be careful about that, slightly under compressing snares and the like, but other than that, they are a really great reference. They also have the bass response I need when tracking (which I always used to do on mains, which are a very different animal). Near fields are great for mixing, but when I am tracking, I need more detail than I do for the mix, hence the mains. The Mackies are adequate in this regard. In this regard, the 624's are completely inadequate.

If I could have afforded Genelec 1031's, that is what I would have gotten, but they were (and are) out of my price range.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Dynaudio BM6a (actives) (about $1500)
Dynaudio BM6 (passives with a Hafler P3000 amp) (about $1,200)
Dynaudio BM15 (passives with a Hafler P4000 amp) (about $1,600)

I guess I'm suggesting Dynaudio. At least consider them with the others.

I just got a pair of KRK RP8's and love them. Best monitor for $500.00 and sound like they could $1000.00. These things are as true as you can get.

Could anyone compare the mentioned monitors?

I heard the mackie 824, and though out of my range, really nice ,

I'm leaning towards the BR-8 mainly because of massives comments. They're 520,- or so around here. What are others I should check out? (and might i add that i need to drive about 400-500km to check gear) pro's, cons?

The samsons resolv are alot cheaper, so are the reveals by tannoy. Yorkville are about the same as the br-8's... I really have no clue what to look/listen for... I suspect that to my "used to crappy pc or very old hifi speaker" ears anything will sound good...

Guhlenn

Light - can you mention the size of your room where you use the HR824s ?
I'm worried about putting a 8" in a smaller room but if they do really operate in the nearfield (like at 80-85dBSPL) without filling the room up too much exciting too many bass modes or whatever then I could use HR824.

I was also considering BM6A (6" woofer) for that reason but might think about the 8" version of that one too.

I like the comment you made about how slow HR824 are - you almost never get those kind of descriptions from forum type reviews !

Any comments about 8" woofer nearfields vs room size experiences would be appreciated. I assume I would just have to double up on my bass acoustic treatments.

kylen said:
Light - can you mention the size of your room where you use the HR824s ?
I'm worried about putting a 8" in a smaller room but if they do really operate in the nearfield (like at 80-85dBSPL) without filling the room up too much exciting too many bass modes or whatever then I could use HR824.

I was also considering BM6A (6" woofer) for that reason but might think about the 8" version of that one too.

I like the comment you made about how slow HR824 are - you almost never get those kind of descriptions from forum type reviews !

Any comments about 8" woofer nearfields vs room size experiences would be appreciated. I assume I would just have to double up on my bass acoustic treatments.
My space is about 15 feet wide, and 25 feet long. It is, however, a rectangle, and short (only about eight foot ceilings), and I have no problem with exaggerated bass response. Concrete floors and wood walls, with a brick chimney right behind the monitors. I have also used them in smaller environments, and have had no problem at all. Though I run them flat, they also have good high pass filters if you find yourself having issues.

The slow response, by the way, is a result of the passive radiator, which is also responsible for the great low end they have. The radiator creates a rather variable physical resistance inside the box, and it acts in many respects like an infinite baffle speaker, where a relatively large percentage of the energy is used just to get the speaker moving against the resistance of the air pressure inside the cabinet. This basically means that, while they sound really good, they are not as efficient in their use of power as a ported cabinet. It is all about the trade offs, you know.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Thanks Light !
That's the size of room I'm in now and hope to be in after my current move. You're not the first to mention being able to hear the effect of the passive radiator (only the 2nd though) on the HR824's...hmmm As long as I know 'em they should be ok I guess.

kylen said:
Thanks Light !
That's the size of room I'm in now and hope to be in after my current move. You're not the first to mention being able to hear the effect of the passive radiator (only the 2nd though) on the HR824's...hmmm As long as I know 'em they should be ok I guess.
They take a little while to learn, but no more than any other monitor. And I no longer get the headaches I used to get with NS-10s.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

deepwater said:
I tried all of those monitors and the only one that comes close to the Mackie 824 is the KRK RP8's. The Events want hold a light to the KRK's.

Are you sure your talking about the new Studio Precision 8's and not the 20/20's or the tuned reference monitors or something ? The KRK's are a $250 monitor vs $1400 for the Events. I know price doesn't mean everything but it seems like a bit of an indication on the quality difference...

Back