Adam a5x with sub question

paulmapp8306

Iv had my A5x's for ages, but only recently added a sub. In truth more for playback than mixing - practicing orgam/piano has some low Freqs, and the PS4 does go through my system as well....

Anyway - I didnt go for an Adam sub - VERY nearly went with a sub 7, but opted for a Yamaha HS8S instead, for a few reasons in the end.

I have a couple of questions about crossover freqs though.

1. The Adam subs have a set 85hz high pass filter for the satalites. The Yams is sweepable from 80 to 120. Id rather stick to 80, 100 or 120 as they are easy to find when I cant read the dial (100 hz is centre notched). So am I best at 80 hz (closest to Adams default, and as the A5xs -3db point is 50hz) or is 100 hz better, taking more of the load from the A5xs? I dont know if I should use the sub to augment the Adams for lower freqs than they can produce, or If I should let the sub do more work in the low freqs.

2. The Yam has its own low pass filter for the sub itself. Am I better setting this at the same freq as the high pass, or slightly higher. Im not sure if the filters are slope filters providing the blend between sub and satalite, or If I have to build that in by slightly overlapping the frequencies.

I wont mix with the sub as my room is small and Ill get more problems than I fix - though Ill probable listen back to the finished mix with sub in just to check. The sub is more for the organ/piano/synth sounds when practicing, and for the low end thump when gaming. Neither of these are "critical" listening.

I see where some people either use theA7x or the A5x with a subwoofer. Is a subwoofer necessary with the A5x?

Back