Active PA speaker or Monitor speaker?

Clarinet

I have received a number of great suggestions about specific models to consider in an earlier thread (https://homerecording.com/bbs/equip...ews/advice-below-$200-powered-speaker-356438/). I'm wondering if I should address the broader question of whether I should focus my search on PA-style powered speakers or on "studio monitor" type speakers. I'm debating whether a self-powered "near field studio monitor" or a "PA speaker" is a better match for what I plan to do with it which is:

Listen to WAV files of practice recording sessions of a clarinet ensemble of from 3 to 6 players. Most practice sessions would be in a room up to 30' by 50' in size, but we would all be within 20' or so of the speaker. We produce some strong transients, so headroom is important. Looking for accurate reproduction of the frequency spectrum to judge tone quality of individual players. Don't really need much output below 80hz, but mids and highs are important.

Price limit is in the range of $150 to $200. It needs to be fairly light and portable, eg. less than 25-30 lbs..

Example of the PA-type I'm considering: Amazon.com: Behringer EUROLIVE B210D Active 200-Watt 2-Way Pa Speaker System with 10 Woofer And 1.35 Compression Drivercompression Driver: Musical Instruments OR Harbinger APS12 12" Powered PA Speaker | GuitarCenter

Example of the Monitor type I'm considering: Mackie MR5mk2 2-way Reference Monitor | GuitarCenter OR Behringer TRUTH B1030A Active Monitor (Single) | GuitarCenter OR Tannoy Reveal 501A Studio Monitor | GuitarCenter

What are your suggestions as to "type", studio monitor or PA that would be best suited. I suspect that several models are near hybrids of the two.

Last edited:
If you want accurate reporduction of the sound, forget using a powered PA speaker, at least at that price, unless you get lucky finding something used. There's a reason most low-end equipment manufacturers don't show you their frequency response curves!
Carvin do, however - so you might want to check them out if you go that route and scrape a little more money together. The powered 10" freq response falls off at 100Hz, but is fairly even above that - but it sells for $269 plus shipping.

Everything I've read here indicates a 5" woofer equipped monitor will not give you a real flat response either. I still suggest gettiing to a store with an MP3 player loaded with your favorite audition tracks.

Back