8 mic input usb interfaces

tasdan

hey guys, looking for a usb interface sound card with about 8 xlr inputs, all i can find so far is the m audio fast track ultra 8r, just wondering if anyone knew of anything similar? cheers!

hey that looks good, cheaper aswell, im thinking of taking this route for a home/portable recording setup, cheers!

Anyone know anything about the Behringer ADA8000 AD-DA converter/preamp?
im not even sure if its a usb interface.. :P
opinions apreciated :)

Anyone know anything about the Behringer ADA8000 AD-DA converter/preamp?
im not even sure if its a usb interface.. :P
opinions apreciated :)

No, it goes to a soundcard with ADAT expansion, it is NOT an interface itself.

You need to start HERE:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm

(You will find that even USB2 chokes after a handful of channels due to it being a BURST MODE way to transfer data best suited to file copies and auxiliary devices like cameras, mice and keyboards. If you want lots of ins/outs you want to move up to FIREWIRE, which can sustain a large uninterrupted flow of data....)

No, it goes to a soundcard with ADAT expansion, it is NOT an interface itself.

You need to start HERE:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm

(You will find that even USB2 chokes after a handful of channels due to it being a BURST MODE way to transfer data best suited to file copies and auxiliary devices like cameras, mice and keyboards. If you want lots of ins/outs you want to move up to FIREWIRE, which can sustain a large uninterrupted flow of data....)

i was told that usb is about the same speed as firewire now anyway, and also its not to much of an issue becuase the interfaces have there own processors, so its not slowing your system down to much. i was thinking about just one of the two input ones on your link but i want to be able to record at least 7 mics simultaneously...

MOTU Ultralite

I know you said USB, but just wanted to say I'm using a MOTU Ultralite (firewire) which is really very nice. Its in an 8 in 10 out, oh just realized you said 8 in XLR right? This only has 2 XLR ins though the other 6 are balanced 2.5inch inputs I think. Anyhow, you might want to check it out.

i was told that usb is about the same speed as firewire now anyway, and also its not to much of an issue becuase the interfaces have there own processors, so its not slowing your system down to much. i was thinking about just one of the two input ones on your link but i want to be able to record at least 7 mics simultaneously...

No.

USB2 still goes through the CPU in a master/slave relationship. Still works in burst mode, so the transfer rates and bandwidth are misleading.

Firewire is CONTINUOUS SUSTAINED THROUGHPUT and can directly stream from interface to hard drive on the firewire chain with very little oversight by the CPU.
Even the slowest Firewire400 can stream over 100 simultaneous ins/outs, which is why you don't see very many FW800 devices.
And they've already approved FW1600 and FW3200....

Ah i see, thanks for your advice!
im still gunna have to stick to usb as i dont have a firewire port.
Thanks for you help though.

Back