20+ year old Peavey SS amp good purchase or nah?

Boeing77W

EDIT: Bought the amp!

Hey all,

I've been playing electric guitar for a while using software amp simulators and I'm looking to buy an actual amp. I'm also running on a shoestring budget since I'm in high school and currently not working, just spending from what I saved up from working in the summer. As I was looking around I came across a sub-$100 Craigslist listing for a Peavey Studio Chorus 210, a 70W amp that dates back to the late 80s. Looked at some demos and reviews, and as far as I can tell it's a great sounding amp clean and overdriven. It's also built in the USA and not Asia like many amps in that price range. But its age concerns me a bit, and I was wondering how about much longer it could possibly last with 20+ years on its belt. I'm hoping it can last at least another 4-5 years if I do purchase it. I'm mostly a home musician but eventually I will be playing the occasional church gig with my own amp. Any insight or suggestion will be greatly appreciated!

TL;DR I want to buy a Peavey Studio Chorus 210 for cheap, but I'm not sure how much longer it can last.

Also, if this belongs in the guitars and basses forum please let me know!

Last edited:
I wouldnt even stress. Under a hundred bucks and made in the USA?? No brainer.
That was in peavey's golden age. All that stuff was built like a tank.
If it looks clean and works I'd buy it. At worst you might have to clean some pots. Some electronics cleaner and moving the knob around cleans up any scratchiness real quick.

It looks a bit worn, the front logo is missing, but all the knobs and buttons appear to be intact. I will probably ask the seller for more information regarding its condition and maybe for a few more photos before I head over to try it out.

I love that old gear.
But you always have to check through and throught that it's working 100%, and many times that's not.
There's always the risk it will go broken, but a bit electric engeneer can repair those old electronics much easier (and many times cheaper) than the microchips prints.
If you already know an electric engeneer ask him to help buying.

I would say, try but keep your eyes and ears wide open.

Btw, i would try to get it for 50-75.

The Chorus has been on my list. You might slum through Guitar Centers used Peavey listings to get a better handle on what might be good for a first purchase. I've got electronics that are old and still working. You should look at capacitor maintenance with older gear. I still shop used Peavey, even though I don't have room for anything : ) I did buy the Vip-1 this year though

I'm usually obsessing over the "correct" logo and colors ! hahah

Attachments

• t-Model.jpg
    t-Model.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 28
I will probably ask the seller for more information regarding its condition and maybe for a few more photos before I head over to try it out.

Don't go driving the seller crazy. Just drive over with cash in hand and look at the damn thing. :) Bring a guitar, plug it in and test it out. Everything works? Negotiate a price and take it home. ( Or not )
Easy!

:D

Back