Would you recommend me a good drum microphone set from Ebay to record?

TheComposer

Hi, my budget is 250-300 USD, and I've seen on Ebay a lot of mic kits, I dunno anything about them other than a few brand names (like CAD).

What do you think it would be a good drum set kit that would help me to record drums?, and will I sound profesional with those? (My drummer has a killer drumkit so that should help in some way).

Example: this one.

Avant Drum Microphone Set | eBay

I was looking at the Samson drum kit (they have a 5 and a 7), but glad you posed the question as I am looking as well. About the same budget.

Ohh cool man, please share whatever good kit you happen to find. :listeningmusic:

Looking at the CAD or the Sampson. I would like to get the Shure package, and I know they would be better, but they run about 400 for the set of 5 and you still need the cables, another 100. So I am going to wait and see what responses come out. ;)

Do you already have any microphones already? Some microphones aren't specifically for drums but are industry standards. Take the SM57 or MD421 for example. What you should invest the most into is a good pair of condensers if you don't have them already. Overheads are the foundation of your drum sound so having good overhead mics is crucial.
If I were you I would go with a Cad Pro 4 along with a used audix i5 or SM57 then I would spend the rest of the budget on a pair of octava mk012 condensers or SM81s. If you have yet to purchase any large diaphragm condensers I would opt for a pair of Cad M179's for overheads. They are super versatile and also sound killer on toms.

So, I hope I have the drum mic kit settled. Picked up the Audix FP7 on E-Bay. From what I can tell they seem like a decent low end mic set for the beginner. I will report back in a few weeks after I have tried them out.

Audio Technica MB DK/6 with 2 Midnight Blue 4k overheads, 3 MB 5k cardioid (toms/snare) and a 6k kick mike. B&H Photo is showing a $199 price, but everywhere else its $230-330. AT lists it at $459.
For that price you can afford a few $40 5k's for the rest of your kit (if you have more than 2 toms). Can't go wrong with AT.

I don't mike drums, so of course, I haven't tried them. Several people HERE said very nice things about them, or I wouldn't have recommended them. If you can buy local with a return policy that will allow you to return them if you don't like what you here, that would be the best bet. You're not in the budget arena of Audix or Shure sets, and I've heard many things unsavory about the cheaper sets, so I thought the AT set was worth mentioning.

Man, I'm too old to remember a lot of the mikes that we used to record, but NT-5's it seems to me, were harsh sounding, but great for high hats and not so great for overheads. I think we were using AKG's in the studio for OH, but don't know the model. Part of LZ IV was done with Beyerdynamics M160's and nothing more, which should be about the same price range, so they would be good enough...

But the big question is what is "good enough?"

Man, if you're shooting for Neuman KM quality on a Samson budget, you're just not going to get there.

If you get three or four 57's, a pg52 (or beta 52) and a matched set of M5's (Rode) or Pulsar II's (M-Audio), it will be good enough if the skill in playing, tracking, mixing and mastering are there. That set of kit will run right at $600, if you buy the DMK57-52 kit and either of the matched pairs. If you're looking for a $300 professional studio microphone set, it just doesn't exist.

Listen to some of the music from people on this site and see what sounds "good enough" on the drums that have been recorded. Try Jimmy69, Greg_L and RAMI for starters. I'm pretty sure they all use live drums (although Jimmy triggers SSD for "enhancement, not replacement"). If you like what you hear, PM them and see if they'll give you some tips on their sound(s). My advice is worth exactly what you pay for it...as is anyone's here. You've got to make the decisions and you have to live with them. I've made plenty of mistakes in the kit I've purchased, but with practice and patience, you can make moderate kit sound professional.

I see, I guess I'll change my strategy and budget :D

I'm reading you suggested to get 3 or 4 SM57s, I was planning getting at least one for the snare, but 3, do they sound good??

I'll be researching more, by the way, that pair of Rode NT5 I'm gonna get cost over 450 USD on Ebay, which made me think they must be good at some point, maybe I can resale and get some of the mics you suggest.

Thanks!

Broken H:

"If you get three or four 57's, a pg52 (or beta 52) and a matched set of M5's (Rode) or Pulsar II's (M-Audio)"

How about all what you said, except that I usedthose Rode NT5 + a MXL V65 Mic I have with me right now, do you think that will be ok?

The reason I say 3 or 4, is because I don't know what you're miking. I assume snare and three toms, bass, hi-hat and cymbals.

You can get GREAT sound, with just two overheads and a kick mike. Pros have been doing it since the 60s and 70s. You can get really tight sound by using the same setup and close miking the snare (one on top, one on bottom), each tom and the hi-hats. (for a 5-piece kit, you'd need 8 mics.).

It's as much about environment, skill and practice as it is about what mikes. Yes, you can get a pro sound from two NT5s and a V65 in the kick. I was only demonstrating a ~$700 budget set that would get you really great tight sound. You can achieve great sound with less. Like I said, give a listen to some of the others here and ask them questions if you like what you hear.

My experience with any of the mikes listed comes from the 80s (and I was a bassist/keyboardist/vocalist, not a tech). So take what I say with a grain or two...:)

I record my kik with the 52 on the outside of the resonator head. Never cut a hole in it. But I like the thud sound.

Mine has a hole cut in it, I know the sound I want, been chasing it for months. (shania twain Any man of mine). real solid with a good sharp attack. Is your kick boomy or more flat?

Back