Tuning kick drum

this might sound crazy, but since 1982 (after watching a super badass drummer tune his kick drum) i have been tuning a kick buy simply putting both the front and back head on as loose as possible without them falling off. lol.

next; stick a good kick drum mic inside the drum about 3-4 inches from the beater.

eq; add lows, cut mids from 250-800, boost high mids from 2-4k for more click sound.

i've recorded several cd's covering a variety of style and this works every time.

A Superkick kills it.

Which superkick do you use? My drummer now has an identical kick to yours and it came with an emad. I have heard superkicks in some live settings but the drums are generally muffled to shite and then heavily processed.

Which superkick do you use? My drummer now has an identical kick to yours and it came with an emad. I have heard superkicks in some live settings but the drums are generally muffled to shite and then heavily processed.

Superkick II. No muffling.

The EMAD is okay for the first few weeks until the plastic muffling mount ring thing breaks.

Cool. When my drummers emad bites the dust I will steer him towards the super kick ii.

Back