Steven Slate Trigger and SSD4 super friggen cheap right now.

jimmys69

MOODerator
This is not spam. Just a recommendation.

I payed 3 times what these are being sold for now and I use them all the time.

Way better and more natural sounding than EZD or Addictive (that I own) IMO.

Trigger requires Ilok purchase. SSD4 does not.

Carry on...

Okay, stupid question. The difference between the two is ??? I'm guessing SSD 4 would not trigger from my e-drums, but trigger would? (just by the names.) Was honestly looking at Reason's new hypersampled kits, but this is a known good for the same price. Need one that let's me write midi drum tracks as well as play midi live in from triggers (like Reason's). Course if SSD4 has samples and I can load my own kit on the NNXT sampler in Reason, I'm already there and just need to replace my samples with the SSD samples.

Both Trigger and SSD4 are downloaded from Steven Slate site. Trigger requires ilok. SSD4 does not.

SSD4 is similar to EZDrummer but way better drum/cymbal sounds.

Trigger just does drums. No cymbal samples.

I must say SSD4's drums do sound better than EZD1. I think EZD2 has made some significant improvements (though I don't own it), but this price for SSD4 is pretty awesome. It comes with way more kits than EZD1 does for sure.

Thanks for the info fellows. I checked out Trigger and the editor that goes along with it. I know Jimmy has used it in the past for drum replacement with good results.

Thanks for the info fellows. I checked out Trigger and the editor that goes along with it. I know Jimmy has used it in the past for drum replacement with good results.

Yeah, the editor is very cool and simple for making your own samples for SS Trigger. You can sample your own snare with 100's of articulations (different samples 'recordings' triggered by your specified velocity in Trigger) and use them on other performances or even just enhance your own snare with a bleed free sample of your actual snare.

By the way I really don't like to use the word 'replacement'. Enhance is better. You can't get rid of the overheads or anything recorded in the room. I blend the trigger with what is there. Kick you can almost replace completely, but I usually mix them together to keep the character of the players kit.

'Replace' is a bit strong of a term here.

:D

Well, crap. I didn't think I was going to buy drum software today. But this looks too good to pass up.

Hmmm, now the FMR RNC in my Amazon shopping cart is going to have to lay low for a while...I hope it doesn't get lonely before next payday.

Well, crap. I didn't think I was going to buy drum software today. But this looks too good to pass up.

Hmmm, now the FMR RNC in my Amazon shopping cart is going to have to lay low for a while...I hope it doesn't get lonely before next payday.

Let the GAS be your master... :)

Let the GAS be your master... :)

Indeed :D

So in your opinion, does SSD have processing built-in to the samples? Or do they sound raw? Just asking because I'm growing tired of the EQ that was obviously built in to the EZD samples, and fighting it in every mix. I understand why it's there, so people can leave their drum tracks alone and get some of the presence that a 5K EQ bump provides, but it drives me nuts because I'm not a fan of it. I end up notching out a narrow Q around 5K on all of my kick, snare, and overhead tracks. That gets tiring.

Indeed :D

So in your opinion, does SSD have processing built-in to the samples? Or do they sound raw? Just asking because I'm growing tired of the EQ that was obviously built in to the EZD samples, and fighting it in every mix. I understand why it's there, so people can leave their drum tracks alone and get some of the presence that a 5K EQ bump provides, but it drives me nuts because I'm not a fan of it. I end up notching out a narrow Q around 5K on all of my kick, snare, and overhead tracks. That gets tiring.

No processing man. Just real drums recorded in a good room with great mics and gear.

EZD makes me cringe...Before I bought SSD4, I would replace EZD kick and snare with SS Trigger samples because the sound drove me friggen insane.

Yeah, the editor is very cool and simple for making your own samples for SS Trigger. You can sample your own snare with 100's of articulations (different samples 'recordings' triggered by your specified velocity in Trigger) and use them on other performances or even just enhance your own snare with a bleed free sample of your actual snare.

By the way I really don't like to use the word 'replacement'. Enhance is better. You can't get rid of the overheads or anything recorded in the room. I blend the trigger with what is there. Kick you can almost replace completely, but I usually mix them together to keep the character of the players kit.

'Replace' is a bit strong of a term here.

:D
Technically, enhance is a more descriptive word of what the software does than replacement. I used replacement because SSD used the word in one of it's videos, But I agree with Jimmy that the word enhance is more descriptive of what the software actually does. I know people who also use Drumagog with good results. :thumbs up:

I've listened to a bunch of the sample tracks on their website, and I do like some of the snares and cymbals. But man those toms are frightening. Not a fan of EZD's toms for the most part, but SSD makes EZD Pop/Rock Kit toms sound pretty nice by comparison.

I'm gonna sleep on it and see if I still need this tomorrow. Any idea how long the sale is supposed to last?

Well, I got the free 30 day dl from Reason. Only has snare/kick/hh/crash/ride of one drum set included, but I can get a good idea of what having separate ambiance, overhead and close mikes can do for the sound. It seems very well done. Don't know exactly how the kit works, but apparently you can switch out cymbals/toms/snares and it automatically adjusts the room and overhead mikes for those pieces of kit.

Back