So I'm looking at modules and triggers...

Most of the composers I know write in midi. That way, if they decide at some point that the flute part should be played by a violin, they just change the instrument playing it. It takes two seconds, as opposed to finding a violin sound and reperforming it.

Not so much with drums, but with other instruments you can change keys, change octaves and do all sorts of things like that, once you get the original performance nailed. Changing keys wont sound like mickey mouse or darth vader because you aren't changing the pitch of the audio, you are changing the note being played on the instrument. So everything still sounds as natural as it normally would.

Most of the composers I know write in midi. That way, if they decide at some point that the flute part should be played by a violin, they just change the instrument playing it. It takes two seconds, as opposed to finding a violin sound and reperforming it.

Not so much with drums, but with other instruments you can change keys, change octaves and do all sorts of things like that, once you get the original performance nailed. Changing keys wont sound like mickey mouse or darth vader because you aren't changing the pitch of the audio, you are changing the note being played on the instrument. So everything still sounds as natural as it normally would.

That's what I love about MIDI. My main thing is that I suck at playing drums and keys, so it's nice to have features like quantize and the ability to manipulate each note/hit. Oops, that snare hit was a little late...I'll just scoot it over a bit. Or dang, that part would have sounded better if the hihat was a ride cymbal instead. Well, I'll just highlight that section and drag it to the ride lane in piano roll. It's a great way for someone like me to correct mistakes and make after-the-fact decisions about arrangement and performance.

Back